Kitchen faucet leak - o-ring or cartridge?

Old 12-02-20, 07:16 AM
C
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Kitchen faucet leak - o-ring or cartridge?

I've got an old Delta kitchen faucet (with separate hot and cold handles) that has a drip leak (maybe 1 drop every 5-10s). Leak is on the cold water side. I pulled out the cartridge and the o-ring wasn't properly seated, though this might have happened during the act of removing the cartridge. O-ring doesn't have any obvious tears or missing bits. I reseated it and reinstalled the cartridge, but it still leaks.

Before trying to figure out what the correct o-ring size is and buying replacement, I thought I'd ask - how do you determine if the problem is the o-ring vs the cartridge itself? If it's just the o-ring, I'll just replace it. But if it's the cartridge, rather than spend $15 on a new cartridge, I'd prefer to get a new faucet as this old faucet has a couple of other minor issues (escutcheon gasket is slightly out of place, and the handles are always unthreading themselves from the handle body). Plus HD has pretty good sale on faucets right now.

Old 12-02-20, 09:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
You didn't say where your faucet is leaking. If the water is coming out from the base of the knob then it could be the O ring. If it's dripping from the spout like it's not completely turned off then I'd replace the cartridge. If you call Delta they will probably send you the parts for free.

A drop of blue Loctite on the threads of your handles can stop them from unscrewing.

cartman voted this post useful.
Old 12-02-20, 09:58 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
If the faucet has other problem (cosmetic) and you're not happy with it, this is a good time to buy a new one. As far as your question goes, I doubt if the "O" ring is a fault. But you'll never know unless you replace it. And for the cost of an "O" ring, why not?
Keep in mind Delta, Moen, AM Std, and most other brand names are lifetime warranty. And that includes outside finish.

Old 12-02-20, 10:05 AM
C
You didn't say where your faucet is leaking. If the water is coming out from the base of the knob then it could be the O ring. If it's dripping from the spout like it's not completely turned off then I'd replace the cartridge. If you call Delta they will probably send you the parts for free.
Dripping from the spout as if handle isn't completely turned off.

Old 12-02-20, 12:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Then it's likely the cartridge that needs replacing. If you do replace it I would only use Delta brand replacement parts which you can buy or you can contact Delta to get the parts under warranty. I have had mixed results with aftermarket cartridges.

Old 12-02-20, 12:37 PM
C
Thanks. That makes it a good time to upgrade in conjunction with current sales rather than put another $15 into this old faucet (have replaced cartridges on this some years ago).

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: