Shower pump questions

Old 12-02-20, 03:15 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower pump questions

Read Murray Anderson's DoItYourself.com article "The Benefits of a Shower Pump".
Does anybody know where I can get one? Can't find one locally or online.

doityourself.com/story/the-benefits-of-a-shower-pump

Last edited by PJmax; 12-02-20 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added forum link
Old 12-02-20, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm trying to find some contact information on Murray but haven't had much luck.
Will keep looking.

Old 12-03-20, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Many options appeared when I search for "shower booster pump".

Old 12-04-20, 08:59 AM
K
Searching on "shower booster pump" did open up more options. Thanks for that suggestion.

I still can't find a single unit that boosts pressure for both hot and cold specifically for the shower. These are more readily available in the UK and the Caribbean.

I plan to house the pump in an accessible wall cavity near the shower heads. There are a few types of exposed shower booster pumps that mount on the wall in the shower, but I am not interested in those.

Also, I do not want to boost the pressure in the whole house.

What I am after is a quiet single unit with twin impellers, centrifugal pumps, and auto start on delta p.

UK and some EU countries have these available, but I can't find a US source.

I may have to go with two separate pumps that ARE readily available, one for hot and one for cold.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Salamander pump image below.

Old 12-04-20, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
The problem is that's something that simply isn't needed in the US & Canada so nobody stocks or sells them here, sorta like suicide showers. Common in some parts of the world but impossible to find in the US. Pre COVID I used to travel a lot and could just bring things home in my luggage. Ordinarily I'd suggest asking an airline crew member or someone who travels to pick one up for you but with COVID that's not much an option either.

You could order something and have it shipped internationally though for something like a pump it might be difficult to find a company willing to do so. I would first check Mexico and Central America as their current is the same as the US and booster pumps are commonly used. Anything coming from Europe would be the wrong voltage & frequency. You could try foreign country's Amazon and see if they will ship internationally. You can also try Chinese online retailers like DHgate, Alibaba and others.

Old 12-07-20, 10:37 AM
K
Thanks. Great feedback.

In my sitution, I'm on a shared well, and would like a pressure boost for the showers. Pressure in the well pit is fine, but the pressure drops to my house are too much for a decent shower.

Found a supply house in Ireland that will ship but it's expensive. Pump is 220v, but I have a 220v supply if I place near steam shower unit. Would have to adapt plumbing from metric to US.

I'm leaning toward two separate 110v pumps unless I can find some a reasonable single unit.

Thanks again.

Old 12-07-20, 10:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Irish power is also 50hz where ours in N. America is 60hz.

You could boost the pressure for the water to your entire home. That would allow you to use a more standard booster pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: