Rear-inlet Ballcock - need help

Old 12-02-20, 06:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rear-inlet Ballcock - need help

I've got an old Crane toilet that has a rear-inlet for the water supply. I needed to change the ballcock. I purchased a Curtin Valve 120 Rotary Ballcock - see the below photo. However, when testing the valve by manually pushing up the hinge (where the float ball rod goes into the thumbscrew) to stop the water, it only slightly reduces the flow. I'm wondering if the purpose of the screw on the right side is to adjust the plunger to make a tight seal on the seat when the hinge is pushed all the way up. I've been afraid to tighten it before I know for sure, as this part wasn't cheap! Does anyone know if that's what the screw is for?

Also, the way that hinge is situated, when I screw in the float rod, it's horizontal in the down position, but almost a 45 degree angle pointing up when in the full up position. How can that be? It will be hitting the top of the tank before it turns off the valve......something doesn't seem right there. Does it require a unique angled rod and/or float ball?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-02-20, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,328 Votes on 1,227 Posts
Couldn't find too much technical info. I did find a breakdown with labeling.
That screw is called a bypass screw. It looks like it adjusts water flow to the bowl fill water line.

A/S Curtin CVA-120

Old 12-04-20, 08:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete, very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: