Clogged dishwasher drain

Old 12-03-20, 09:13 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Clogged dishwasher drain

I have a Bosch SHXM63W55N that is pretty new. I made a mess in the kitchen yesterday when I tried to put a bunch of potato peels down the garbage disposal. It got clogged, and in trying to clear the clog I plunged the hell out of the sink. Eventually the clog cleared in the sink, but I must have pushed a bunch of chopped up potato bits through the dishwasher drain tube, and they went all the way inside the dishwasher.

My dishwasher won't run, it gives an error code. I understand the error code, but now as for how to fix it.

I've removed the filter (filter is clean, almost new) and can see that the drain pump spinner thing moves when I manually turn it. I don't think it's a simple clog there. I could remove the drain hose and clear it out, that's the first thing I'll try. My bigger concern is that there is some clog internal to the dishwasher (something between where the drain hose attaches and the filter is accessible from inside the dishwasher) that I can't easily reach.

Are dishwashers designed for this pathway to be disassembled and cleaned? How can I find out how to do this? What is the right terminology and resources?

Thank you!

Old 12-03-20, 09:20 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
What is the error code? Having that might help us to determine the problem.

Old 12-03-20, 09:22 AM
The error is E25. The rest of this response is to meet the 25 character minimum

Old 12-03-20, 09:59 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Old 12-03-20, 11:04 AM
Thanks Norm, that info just covers what I've already done. I'm really asking for advice on going beyond that

I guess I should add - I have not tried calling Bosch yet. I guess my assumption is they won't be very helpful for things that aren't just very obvious. Does anyone have experience with that?

Old 12-03-20, 11:34 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Yea, don't bother calling a service rep. They will only want to come out and charge for the service call and then want to replace the motor system.

I would try using a light duty drain snake and carefully feed it through the back end of the discharge as close to machine as possible. That may mean disconnecting he drain hose at the machine rear section.

Old 12-03-20, 01:34 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Use a wet vac and see if there is anything in the drain hose to suck out.

Old 12-03-20, 02:34 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
FYI: Never put potato peels down the garbage disposal or drain, ever. Doing so can cause expensive to correct issues (clogs) in your drain system.

Old 12-03-20, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Onion skins and peels are even worse in the disposer. Egg shells are a no-no too.
(just things I've come across at service calls)

Click on the link. Once the diagram is up you can click on it to enlarge it.
Same diagram as here but much larger....... Pump pathway

You'll need to pull out and clean.....
#401 - fill funnel assy. (drain line may pass thru this. Visually inspect it..... it's clear)
#431 - check valve
#434 - drain pump lid
#435 - turbidity sensor
#436 - drain hose
#455 - drain pump

For exploded parts views........ Sears parts direct

Old 12-05-20, 12:30 PM
Thanks all, that diagram helped a lot in understanding the insides of this thing. I fixed it eventually by disconnecting the drain hose from the disposal and vacuuming it out. That, plus cleaning it the best I could from the inside with just taking the filter out. I didn't have a wet vac so I sacrificed a dustbuster that I didn't care much about. One of the attachments was perfect for sucking out a hose. The test run has been doing well for an hour or so, and the lines look clear now to the eye. Thanks again!

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: