Bathtub Top drain hole seal

Old 12-13-20, 02:43 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub Top drain hole seal

My Bathtub topdrain hole was not aligned properly with drain pipe fiting due to which there is a gap on the bottom of the drain pipe and it leaks water into my basement whenever I fill up the tub. Kindly advice what kind of putty or type of underwater sealant I can use to seal this gap

gap between the bathtub and drain pipe fiting.

Popular Reply

12-13-20, 05:52 PM
Zorfdt
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
Is there an access panel behind the tub? I think the better solution is to reposition the overflow correctly in the hole. It should just require loosening a slip nut, moving it down, and re-tightening. That would be a longer-term and more secure solution that caulk.

Old 12-13-20, 03:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
You can use a silicone caulk to seal that opening.

Old 12-13-20, 05:52 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
Is there an access panel behind the tub? I think the better solution is to reposition the overflow correctly in the hole. It should just require loosening a slip nut, moving it down, and re-tightening. That would be a longer-term and more secure solution that caulk.

CasualJoe, Norm201, quickcurrent voted this post useful.
Old 12-13-20, 06:43 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zorfdt I donot have easy access right now but also it doesnot look like there is a slip nut behind.

Old 12-13-20, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
You can always cut the hole in the subfloor larger if needed. Looks to me like you have plenty of room to replace everything from the trap on up. And use slip joint fittings this time.

Old 12-14-20, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Those overflow drains are difficult at best to get to sorta seal and getting a perfectly waterproof connection is almost impossible. Usually there is a tapered foam washer that acts as a gasket between the pipe and tub. You can try tightening the nut more and see if that seals it. You can also loosen the nut and try to reposition the drain a bit and tighten but that won't let you lower it which it looks you need. And last (and the most work) is to cut the vertical pipe leading up to the overflow. Take the top piece out and cut 1/2" to 1" off. Shove a Fernco rubber boot connection over the pipe then reinstall it. Cutting some length out of the pipe and using the rubber boot will allow you to position the drain a bit better in the opening. It still might not seal 100% though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: