Garbage disposal red reset button recessed inside?

Old 12-17-20, 01:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal red reset button recessed inside?

Hello
I was stupid enough to throw a whole orange into my garbage disposal, and it shut it down. The orange is out and there is no blockage, but the disposal won't turn back on.

The reset button seems to be broken or recessed inside

I used the hex tool to rotate it, also unplugged it and turned off the breaker panel but no luck

any ideas? is that the red reset button that slid to the left and is visible under the rectangular hole?

Old 12-17-20, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Disposers don't all have reset buttons. My Insinkerator doesn't have one.
Post the make and model number.

Old 12-17-20, 01:48 PM
J
Hi PJMax
Make is inskinkerator model 1-81

Old 12-17-20, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Insinkerator says every one of their models has a thermal safety breaker. The red part should pop out if it's tripped. Yours looks different than the other models. Can't tell if maybe the switch moved in it's bracket.

In the following link..... there is a number you can text for factory help. That definitely looks like a manufacturing issue. They may be able to help you quickly.,

Emerson insinkerator reset

Old 12-17-20, 06:56 PM
J
Hi PJMAx,
It turns out, the red switch got pushed in and got out of alignment . Either the homeowners before us pushed it in too aggressively (or maybe one of us did it - however none of us is admitting it

Anyway, I got it to work after I messed around with the red button using a chopstick, and it took some wiggling before it worked.

I decided to replace it before it acted up again when the sink is blocked. I got lucky today as there was no blockage in the sink, so the work was pretty clean. Picked up the exact same model at home depot for $99 this afternoon. Yes it does have a red button.

Since it was the exact same model, it saved me a lot of time in terms of installing the parts on top of the sink. Didn't even have to use plumbers putty. I am not very good at this stuff, but It was pretty quick and easy - but boy, crawling under the sink and trying to balance the new unit and twist it closed was the biggest and most time consuming part !!

Hope I did it correctly. I guess we will find out !!!

Old 12-17-20, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
crawling under the sink and trying to balance the new unit and twist it closed was the biggest and most time consuming part !!
It's even harder on us larger gentlemen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: