Grab bar configuraton for open tub

Old 12-22-20, 11:33 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grab bar configuraton for open tub

We have a large tub with a low pony wall for the faucets at one end and no adjacent walls to attach a grab bar. Stepping in/out is getting a little risky at age 80. A floor to ceiling pole would work, but seem rather obtuse. And besides, I don't want to encourage my wife into thinking she should take up pole dancing anymore! I can envision sort of a "U" shaped bar from the top of the pony wall to the sill at the edge of the tub, but where can such an item be obtained/made? Hoping for some suggestions and ideas.

Old 12-22-20, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,579 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Stores that specialize in accessibility or aging in place should have plenty of options for you. If you are unsure of where to look, contact your local county department of health and human services for assistance.

This may not be exactly what you need, but something like this could be mounted over the spout area to help you climb in and out. It would mount to the wall on one side and to the tile to the right of the tub on the other.

There are also floor mounted devices that may help.

Or something like this could go on the back wall and span the window opening. Yours would be reversed from this example.

Or this option could be installed in such a way so as to span the window as well..

Anything installed on the wall should have blocking installed in the wall first. Opening up the drywall, installing blocking, then patching and repainting the drywall.

Old 12-22-20, 02:54 PM
H
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts
I got a suction cup grab bar for my parents- works well on flat square tile and on the flat parts of the tub, some manufacturers have a thicker but softer rubber that will still even on "quarry tile" that isn't perfectly flat. I'm a Realtor, I've seen some homeowners grind/polish a flat circle on quarry tile to get a good hold.

And the newer ones spread the load over have 3 suction cups, to make 1 long bar or a "V"

I'd try one, if it works, one on the pony wall, perhaps one on higher wall, and one on the rear wall.

Make sure you get the ones with the little "vacuum indicator"

Last edited by Hal_S; 12-22-20 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-22-20, 03:16 PM
Received 998 Likes on 907 Posts
I would encourage not using suction cup grab bars, they are not 100% reliable and can fail. You will notice now they have little indicators on them but honestly who is going to take the time to check them and it only takes one weak attachment!

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: