tub spout diverter replacement issues

Old 12-26-20, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tub spout diverter replacement issues

Couldn't get the shower to work when I pulled up the knob on the spout, replaced the diverter but had to sand it to make it fit, it was a lil thicker than the original. I am able to get the shower working, but now it appears I have water coming behind the spout inside of it.....the pics I am attaching shows that water inside & behind the spout when I have the shower head engaged. This is an old home & the copper pipe is 32 yrs. old. It is 1 1/2 inches from the tub opening, had to hack saw some of it off to make the spout fit. What would make some of the water go backwards inside the spout when the shower is running? I don't want to caulk this up til I am sure things are good. TY

water coming out

bent pipe on the top (original plumber did this 32 yrs. ago)

this is inside the spout part

Old 12-26-20, 03:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
"...replaced the diverter but had to sand it to make it fit..."
It sounds like that was not the correct part.

And... you get to cut the wall open. The pipe for the tub spout needs to be replaced. It's best to cut a hole in the wall on the back side of the shower. That way you can work on it without having to replace the shower surround. If you've been considering a tub/shower remodel then you can rip out the surround and work on it from the front.

Old 12-26-20, 07:14 PM
It worked before I cleaned the spout. From the research I have done, it said to replace the diverter. The diverter was tough to get into the spout because it was a lil bigger & had to shave that down. I am now able to get the shower working when I pull the tab up..............couldn't get it to work at all w/ the old diverter.
I can't rip anything up or do massive remodels. Possibly an O ring?
And BTW, they make gator bites for copper where you don't have to solder these days.
Thanks for the response, not remodeling & tearing up the place!

Old 12-27-20, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
" I am now able to get the shower working when I pull the tab up..." "...Possibly an O ring?"
So, if you have the tub spout & diverter and installed why are you asking about replacing an O-ring? Is something leaking?

Old 12-27-20, 07:24 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
They do make O-ring couplings but the coupling will not work if you have to push it on so far that the O-ring goes onto the bent part of the pipe.

Another alternative, get a diverter spout that requires that the pipe extend from the wall (typically 4 inches). Solder on a standard copper coupling and a new short length of copper to the stub end still showing. Add an adapter with the screw thread if the spout needs that, to the newly constructed pipe extension. .

Suggest cutting a (minimum 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch) notch in the rim of the tub spout at the bottommost point where the spout meets the tub wall. This to let any water that got inside to drip into the tub instead of accumulate and drip inside the wall.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-27-20 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 09:22 AM
Hi Alan, thank you but as I continue to trouble shoot the water coming backwards thru the spout after I installed the new diverter, it seems that I could possibly need a new spout w/ that internal feature I will show in a pic. I hate to but a new spout, but as you can see with this pic, they seem to have better adapters & converters these days.

Old 12-27-20, 09:28 AM
new spout with new plastic adapter?

Old 12-27-20, 10:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Push on spouts need a round, not deformed and smooth pipe. You had trouble installing a new slide on spout without you "modifying" and your photo shows the pipe is bent and dented. Another slide on spout is not a good option. The proper fix is to replace the pipe as I mentioned before. Or as an easier fix you can follow AllanJ's suggestion and sweat on a short piece of good copper and a male NPT fitting so you can use a threaded spout.

Old 12-28-20, 07:22 AM
True about the dent, however if the inside of the plastic is sanded, I believe I can get it to fit. Still working on this, will send results & pics later.

Old 12-28-20, 10:38 AM
done

I sanded out the inside of the converter to make it slide over the slightly bent copper pipe. This worked & am up & running, without a complete remodel, cutting out walls & or sweating pipes. I believe in work arounds, lets see how long this will last. I am on this site to help w/ costs. I can't afford what you all are suggesting. I need work arounds! see pics , am caulking now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: