Stacking Wax Rings

Old 12-28-20, 09:50 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stacking Wax Rings

I replaced my in-law's toilet last night. I had to set the toilet twice. The first time I set it, I used this wax ring Oatey Johni-Ring Jumbo Wax 3-in Toilet Wax Ring with Sleeve for Universal in the Toilet Wax Rings & Floor Seals department at Lowes.com and a standard wax ring stacked on top. The toilet sits on a thick tile and the flange is set slightly below the subfloor. After placing the toilet, the bolts were too short. So, I ran to Lowe's and bought long bolts and picked up 2 more jumbo wax rings and a standard was ring (wasn't sure what combo I was going to use). When I returned to pull the toilet to install the new bolts and wax rings, I saw the bottom was ring was not seated very well on the flange. I decided to use 2 jumbo rings for the second installation. This was late in the evening and I didn't have any other options at the time. I know I can get a flange extender and if that's what I should do, I'll pull the toilet again. However, is there anything wrong with stacking these 2 jumbo wax rings. I have read where some say never stack the rings and some that say it's okay. The rings I used, I would assume, would be safer since there's a sleeve with this ring.

I have no clue what was originally used when installed. I have used these jumbo wax rings myself and they have always been enough and I can always feel the wax squishing down. When I did the first install, I didn't get a good feel of the wax squishing down (with the jumbo and standard wax rings). Using the 2 jumbos, I got a nice squish. I flushed the toiled several times and nothing leaked. That doesn't mean there's nothing leaking between tiles and subfloor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: