Leak in Supply Line Under Sink

Old 12-28-20, 10:05 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak in Supply Line Under Sink

Hi all:

So I have a slight leak in the supply line under the bathroom sink (pic attached).

It was working fine but there was a leak in the top portion of the supply line (which attaches to the faucet) and in the process of tightening the top portion, this new leak has appeared.

As you may be able to see from the location of the water droplets on the nut, the leak is in between the nut and where the braided part of the supply line begins. So the leak is in the supply line itself.

Is there a fix to this or do I need to replace the supply line? It is at least 12 years old.

Getting to the top part of the supply line was very challenging because it is a tight space and I do not have a basin wrench, and I used an adjustable wrench but it worked. I am not looking forward to working that space again!

Thanks!

Popular Reply

12-28-20, 10:17 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
Replace the supply line. The rubber has probably gotten old. Do not overtighten the new one as you put it on. It just gets snugged up, not cranked as hard as possible... That can cause the new one to leak.

Old 12-28-20, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Replace the supply line. The rubber has probably gotten old. Do not overtighten the new one as you put it on. It just gets snugged up, not cranked as hard as possible... That can cause the new one to leak.

CasualJoe, newyork, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-29-20, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Yes, replace the supply line. They are inexpensive and easy to replace. A new one will only need a mild "snugging up" to be water tight. As SXleeper mentioned do not over tighten as that can make things worse.

newyork voted this post useful.
Old 01-04-21, 03:19 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the helpful replies.

I am not so worried about connecting the lower part of the supply line because it is easy to get to.

I am more concerned about the top part which is SO DARN hard to get to!

Is there a supply line I can buy that has an easier way to connect at the top, such as a plastic rotator that I can tighten by hand? Does the pipe pictured allow it to be hand tightened?

Old 01-04-21, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
The large end is hand tightened, the bottom one will need a wrench, but it just needs to be snug.

Old 01-05-21, 06:26 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
DO NOT buy the plastic supply lines . But the SS braided ones. If you don't trust the no name brand sitting in the bin at the home improvement store, buy the name brand ones with tag on it. That plastic will get old and brittle after years and will crack at the slightest touch. And as stated hand tighten the connection then maybe a 1/4 turn to snug it down.

Old 01-09-21, 01:23 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would buy a stainless steel braided line that has metal connectors instead of the cheap plastic connector shown on the image. Plastic connectors can crack and then break, causing a flood.

Old 01-09-21, 01:51 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Consider this wrench from Harbor Freight.
12 in. Basin Wrench

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: