Sink Drain Slipping Off

Old 01-24-21, 04:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sink Drain Slipping Off

Since moving into our house the sink drain never drained as fast as I would like. When looking at the horizontal drain pipe (#1 in photo) I saw that it had a negative pitch (drain water running slightly uphill).

As I saw my options I would have to cut out the back of my cabinet and wall to change out PVC pipes or I could use a flexible pipe coupling that would provide the needed slope to the horizontal drain pipe (1). Out of convenience and wanting to added a needed AAV (older home) I used a flexible PVC Tee like this

It now as this in place like this

The flexibility of the fitting allowed me to pitch the pipe properly and drainage was much improved. The only issue is the flexing of the fitting actually created some downward force on the P-Trap tail piece connected to it. I thought making sure the slip connector (#2) really tight would make sure it would not slip off. All looked good for months. Now connector #2 has slipped off twice.

Is there something I can use to make sure the slip connector cannot fall off again?

Old 01-24-21, 09:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 181 Votes on 162 Posts
You can try replacing the plastic washer in that slip connection. It's possible a new one will grip a bit better.

Another option, is to use a 2x4 or something cut to size to prop the pipe up.
That's one reason I don't particularly like those rubber fittings. The slip fittings are supposed to be water-tight, but they aren't designed to hold weight.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 01-24-21, 09:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can try replacing the plastic washer in that slip connection. It's possible a new one will grip a bit better.
I know I could prop up that joint. I would like to avoid that. I will buy a new plastic washer. What about something more solid like a small, short stainless screw through that joint that would catch both the inner and outer pipes?

Is there another, more proper, option other than the rubber fitting that would still avoid cutting out the back of my cabinet and drywall?

Old 01-24-21, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,422 Votes on 1,315 Posts
You should not have had to add an AAV. That would mean the plumbing was not installed correctly.
There should have been a live vent line in the wall all the way up to the roof.

What is the drain line plumbing made of ?
We see PVC in the picture. Does that connect to steel ?
Steel/galvanized pipes will plug with age.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: