Something fell out of the shower handle

Old 04-09-21, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Something fell out of the shower handle

I turned off the shower handle and something fell out (pics below). Now the plate against the tile is completely loose. What is this, is this fixable or do I need a new one?

Old 04-09-21, 06:45 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Looks like spring clip. Try pushing the back plate tight against the tile and look for a groove that that clip will slip into. You might need to pull the handle at the same time to pull the assembly out to fully show the groove. You might want to turn off the water supply.
Could also be the cartdrige spring. But it looks big. Nothing to compare size to.

Old 04-09-21, 07:48 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Does the escutcheon between the handle and the plate turn with the handle? If not then you might be able to unscrew it and see the groove for the clip.

Old 04-09-21, 08:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would remove the handle and the trim ring at the base of the handle. That should make it much easier to see and work.

NOTE: I don't think this is your specific faucet but the diagram might help you better visualize where it goes and how everything stacks together.

On the bottom side of the handle there should be a hole. You will need an Allen wrench to loosen the set screw inside. Once that's loose the handle should come off. Then the trim ring at the base might unscrew or just pull off revealing the groove where the spring clip goes.

Old 04-09-21, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks guys. Sorry Norm, should have put a coin next to it, but it's only about 2 1/2" long and it's a Kohler. So I found out it's called a cartridge retaining clip, but I'm not seeing any grooves.
I guess it'll have to be taken apart like PD shows, but not sure I can handle that. May be easier to just get a new one?

Old 04-09-21, 10:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If it's a Kohler then you want to turn off the water to the faucet or house. Without that clip the cartridge inside can come out causing a gusher of a leak into the tub. While you are in there I would try to determine how it came out in the first place. I have never seen one just fall out.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-09-21, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Yep, turned it off. Have no idea why it fell out. It's a few years old, but not that old. Strange. My son was able to come over and took it apart, but he can't figure out where the clip goes. Kohler website sells this clip in their parts list, but no instructions or videos on where it goes or how to put it back!

ETA, so I'm looking at the diagram you posted again. Is that the clip right before #2 and at the top left?

Old 06-12-21, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
I know it's been awhile, but thought I should update in case anyone else encounters this. The Kohler brand is unfix-able. So I got a new one. A Moen this time. .

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: