Replacing the flush valve

Old 04-11-21, 09:30 AM
O
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Replacing the flush valve

Is there any advantage of using a flush valve that has the small hose going to the overflow tube compared to a valve that doesn’t. I am thinking one with the hose would increase the flushing power and keep the holes under the rim cleaner. Every few weeks the toilet gets a black residue near them. Both of mine have a bib for the hose but no water comes out.
thank you

Top Answer

04-12-21, 06:02 AM
I Mullins
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Seems like people aren't understanding the question.

The small tube which attaches to the top of the large overflow tube is called a refill tube. Its purpose is to ensure that a water seal remains in the bowl after the flushing action completes. The siphoning action of a flush could leave the bowl with a low-enough water level that sewer gasses could get in. Replacing water in the bowl after a flush prevents that. It also keeps the bowl cleaner ("stuff" sticks to a dry bowl). If the proper replacement refill valve comes with a refill tube, then water should come out of that tube while the toilet refills. That water should go down the overflow tube (that's how it gets to the bowl). If the refill valve has a refill tube, but no water comes out of the refill tube while the toilet tank is filling, then the refill tube is clogged. Replace the refill valve.

BTW, the big "flapper" thing at the bottom of the tank is the flush valve. It dumps the contents of the tank into the bowl after you dump your contents...

Last edited by I Mullins; 04-12-21 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 03:06 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I don't know of any typical house hold toilet flush valve that does not have an overflow tube. What happens if the fill valve malfunctions or the float is set to high? That water has to go someplace. You'll also note that the fill valve has a tube that will run into the overflow tube of the flush valve.

Old 04-11-21, 04:46 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
All tank toilets have overflow tubes, but not all have refill hoses. I have a Kohler toilet which has no refill hose. I don't know how it refills the bowl, but it does.

I think I'd recommend staying with the same of valve kind the toilet originally had. Toilet parts lists are readily available. Mixing & (mis)matching may not work too well.

I don't know what this means:
Both of mine have a bib for the hose but no water comes out.

Last edited by RocketJSquirrel; 04-11-21 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-11-21, 05:01 PM
but not all have refill hoses.
may not be hose but a diaphragm that open to let water in and pressure to close when water level reaches proper height.

Old 04-12-21, 06:02 AM
I
Seems like people aren't understanding the question.

The small tube which attaches to the top of the large overflow tube is called a refill tube. Its purpose is to ensure that a water seal remains in the bowl after the flushing action completes. The siphoning action of a flush could leave the bowl with a low-enough water level that sewer gasses could get in. Replacing water in the bowl after a flush prevents that. It also keeps the bowl cleaner ("stuff" sticks to a dry bowl). If the proper replacement refill valve comes with a refill tube, then water should come out of that tube while the toilet refills. That water should go down the overflow tube (that's how it gets to the bowl). If the refill valve has a refill tube, but no water comes out of the refill tube while the toilet tank is filling, then the refill tube is clogged. Replace the refill valve.

BTW, the big "flapper" thing at the bottom of the tank is the flush valve. It dumps the contents of the tank into the bowl after you dump your contents...

Last edited by I Mullins; 04-12-21 at 07:48 AM.
Norm201, Oldtreker voted this post useful.
Old 04-12-21, 10:09 AM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
Sure enough, my eyes saw "flush valve" but what's left of my brain saw "fill valve".

But reading the OP, it sure sounds like he/she also meant fill valve.

Oldtreker voted this post useful.
Old 04-14-21, 05:03 AM
O
Ha Ha LOL It appears I’ve had a senior moment when describing flush and a refill tube. I was trying to find out what the difference was between a flush valve with a return hose and one without it. I was made aware that the ones without it are cheaper and are often used by contractors. That explains why both toilets in my home don’t have them.

I have learned a lot more about how toilets operate.

Thanks for the information everyone and have a great day

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/c2c23000-aefa-4cbe-bfa0-4f50cac167eb[/img]

No fill hose

Old 04-14-21, 10:45 AM
I
A quick look at the Fluidmaster website shows that all their fill valves have a refill tube.

Your picture shows the refill port (the small grey "nipple" pointing to the right).

Step 4A in the instructions are to "PUSH REFILL TUBE ONTO FILL VALVE REFILL PORT".

The "ones installed by contractors" are often mis-installed because they're lazy or can't read.
(Or kept the tubing to make a bong...)

I would visit a hardware store and replace those. There's a reason they exist!

Norm201, Oldtreker voted this post useful.
Old 04-14-21, 06:36 PM
O
I did put a hose on the unit and nothing came out. The hole doesn’t seem to be blocked.

Old 04-15-21, 04:16 AM
Sure looks blocked to me. use an awl to puncture the plastic blocking he hole. Then clean it out with a drill. Be sure get all debris out.

Old 04-22-21, 11:06 AM
O
I removed the fill valve, as pictured there is no hole to connect a fill hose. I drilled it out, put it back in and water does flow through it. Flushes are much better. Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-22-21, 12:04 PM
I'd say that was a defective unit that got past QC.

Old 04-23-21, 03:42 AM
O
I would normally agree it being a defected unit
but both my bathrooms are the same as well as my neighbors

Old 04-23-21, 04:25 AM
The tube from the fill valve helps maintain the level of water in the bowl.
Yes a fill valve will work without a fill valve hose. But it will not work at best efficiency. As you have found out, using it provides a better flush.

edit...I have not yet found a clear concise reason for the fill tube into the overflow tube. I've searched other forums and heard from professional plumbers and no clear answers. I sent a note to American Standard asking the question and relating the fact that some fill valve have the overflow tube blocked off. If I receive an answer I will post it on this forum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: