Flapper Replacement Help

Old 04-19-21, 11:42 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Flapper Replacement Help

Greetings All,

I have a toilet that has recently started filling itself periodically. At my other place when this happened I would just swap out the Korky flap for a new one. However, the inside of this tank is different & w/o a ball float. When googling the flapper name, Runner, there are few results and those mention Runner "kits". The flapper inside the tank seems to be also attached to the flush handle lever w/ some sort of "zip tie" length instead of a chain.

Can just the flapper of this inside tank setup be removed & swapped with a replacement Korky? And if so how to get the "zip tie" back through the hole in the flush handle lever to do so? Attached is a pic of inside the tank.

Old 04-19-21, 02:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Korky is a brand, not a specific product.

The type of fill valve has nothing to do with the flapper valve. They are located in different areas and are not connected so you can just replace your flapper valve with another. No need to even look at your fill valve. If you want you can replace the whole flapper valve assembly and overflow tube but it will require turning off the water and removing the tank from the toilet.

Old 04-19-21, 03:02 PM
D
Thanks! I would definitely like to avoid replacing the whole flapper valve assembly and overflow tube. Tomorrow I will try to get a replacement flapper at the nearby Lowes. Then I will try to figure out how to get the old flapper released from the overflow tube and handle arm as both of those connections don't look like anything I've dealt with before.

Old 04-19-21, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
There are two "pins" or hinges (red) on the overflow tube. They are fixed in place.
The flapper is soft rubber and gets peeled off the pins (yellow).
The new flapper just gets pushed back on the same pins.

Old 04-19-21, 04:25 PM
D
Thanks PJmax , seems like it should be a easy fix then!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: