Clogged kitchen sink. Can I use Rigid K-400 in ABS pipes?

Old 04-20-21, 09:00 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Clogged kitchen sink. Can I use Rigid K-400 in ABS pipes?

Hi,

My house is 13 years old and I have a double sink in my kitchen, one of which has a garbage disposal attached to it. I have been quite diligent in avoiding pouring bacon grease, bones (although the instructions say that I can) or corn on a cob. I've never really had any issues with my sink drain... until this week.

I had a huge Costco panko bag that had gone rancid and I stupidly flushed it down the disposal, thinking it wouldn't be an issue since this is soft material.

Only a few hours ago, my drain started to clog and nothing would get down anymore (even waiting overnight). I tried the following things:
1- Opening the p-trap (green square in the picture below) to empty the water, then pour about 1 cup of Pro Flo (see below) into my sink, wait for 4 minutes, pour 1 cup of water, wait another 4 minutes, then fill with water, as per the instructions on the box. That didn't work

2- Still through the p-trap, I tried using an old rusty "cobra drainer" (see picture below) to fish through the pipe. I was able possibly get it in 1,5m (?) inside, although that doesn't account for the fact that it probably coiled at some point. But after a few turns, it got stuck. I have no idea if it is from hitting an elbow/T, or because it reached a clog.

3- I tried to use a toilet plunger (see picture below). It wasn't easy because clearly my pipes aren't perfectly watertight and despite my best effort having a friend hold the cap down on the garbage disposal (with a plastic bag under it), there was still come water coming out below the sink. Yet, with this small plunger, I wasn't able to unclog the pipe.

A friend loaned me a motorised fish (Rigid K-400) but I only have the tool that has the "blades"/cutting end (not the one with the dull end). I have never used this tool, but after watching a few videos on the Internet, I feel it could probably be useful.

However, I have the following questions:
1- Before going with such an extreme solution, would you recommend I try with other chemicals like Drano or Liquid Plumr? Should I purchase a longer plunger that has more air inside to make more pressure on the clog?

2- If I decide to use the Rigid K-400 tool, can it be used in 2" ABS pipes? Someone told me that there is a risk that the tool cuts through the pipe..?? Or dislodge the pipes?

Immediately after the red square in the picture below, there is an elbow going down, and probably not too far after another 90 degree to go horizontal in the floor to reach the big drain column.

Please see attached pictures

Plunger

Cobra

Old 04-21-21, 04:20 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
pouring bacon grease, bones (although the instructions say that I can) or corn on a cob
I had a huge Costco panko bag that had gone rancid and I stupidly flushed it down the disposal
I am truly at a loss to think someone would attempt to put this down the disposal.

That pancake mix is going to be like a block of cement, your going to have to dismantle everything under the sink and then hope it's not down in the wall!

Old 04-21-21, 04:28 AM
C
Panko is the Japanese equivalent of bread crumbs; not pancake mix. Stll, not a good idea, I admit.

As my post states, I've already looked under the sink and in the p-trap and there is nothing there. The clog is further down for sure.

Thanks

Old 04-21-21, 04:30 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Use the auger. You'll need the sharp end to cut through the clog. It won't harm the pipes.

Why oh why do people use chemical drain cleaners. That has to be the single biggest scam in all of plumbing. And to think at my store alone we sell through about an eight foot shelf about 4 times a year. That's hundred of bottles of this polluting chemicals that do little but taint our water table.

Old 04-21-21, 06:20 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
Panko is the Japanese equivalent of bread crumbs
HAHA, figured that was the Canadian term for pancake mix, Eh!

Old 04-21-21, 06:47 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
If it were just bread crumbs there would be no problem. But it's the other things mixed with it that is causing it to expand and build up.

Old 04-21-21, 07:53 PM
C
Hello all,

I am pleased to announce that I was successful in unclogging my drain. I used the Rigid rotating tool, but nut with the blades attachement; I used the "coil" attachement. I had to push through a good 3m... probably until about the vertical 4" chute drain.

There were a few moments where I feared I would have to get a plumber to remove this cable from the pipes through the p-trap, but by staying calm and pushing back and forth a little with the rotating tool always turning forward. On the third try I was successful.

I'll never use chemical products to flush down pipes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: