Are all garbage disposals the same (fitment)?

Old 05-03-21, 12:12 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are all garbage disposals the same (fitment)?

I know some have more hp than others but as far as replacement is concerned are they all the same size? (Doing a favor for a friend later by replacing the garbage disposal, want to make sure I tell them to get the correct thing)

Old 05-03-21, 03:44 PM
Received 505 Votes on 468 Posts
For the most part yes with the caveat that if your sink drain flange is old then it would have to be replaced!

Old 05-09-21, 07:12 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Bought a Moen GXP50C:
Prep™ Series 1/2 Horsepower Garbage Disposal -- GXP50C -- Moen

Everything went smoothly, just have one final question:
The securing ring at the top with the 3 "horizontal open cylinders", does it just tighten as far as it can or is it supposed to "snap in place" onto the bracket above it?
I tightened it first by hand, then tapped it with a hammer, then used channel locks to get it as tight as I could. Hope that's enough

Old 05-10-21, 10:07 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not all garbage disposal mounts are the same, but the Moen one you have does appear to the the most common. As for it being tight enough? Those are notorious for being a pain to install. You need to have enough upward pressure on the body of the disposal while at the same time turning the locking ring on the flange. Usually there is a little groove and you can feel the ring drop into it. Banging it into place with a hammer probably got you there but keep an eye on it. Disposals vibrate and if the collar isnít fully set it will work itself off over time and your disposal will fall.

Old 05-11-21, 03:22 PM
Received 111 Votes on 98 Posts
Not all garbage disposal mounts are the same, but the Moen one you have does appear to the the most common
Yes, that Moen disposer sink attachment is very common because that model from Moen is manufactured by InSinkErator. ISE makes many many private labelled disposers like that one. They used to also make Kenmore, Dayton, Maytag, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Emerson, Franke, Kitchenaid, Criterion, Evergrind, Wastemaid, Maintenance Warehouse, Mountain Plumbing, Barracuda and a few more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: