extending shower drain pipe

Old 05-04-21, 09:26 AM
Received 372 Votes on 337 Posts
extending shower drain pipe

Here’s my challenge. I need to extend the drain riser pipe up by 1 ½”. The drain for the shower bed says the riser pipe must be within 1/8” above or below the floor surface. What is the easiest way to do this? Adding a standard size coupling is too big. If I have to cut the pipe to add a coupling what would be the easiest method. Is there another option to avoid cutting? This is a 2nd floor bath. Trying not open ceiling below. Although I may need to do some cosmetic repair on that ceiling when done.

Do they make a 2" coupling that will fit over existing pipe but then reduce down to 2" standard pipe size?

Old 05-04-21, 09:50 AM
Received 117 Votes on 101 Posts
Something like this slip coupling? It is 1.5 inch. What size is your pipe? Maybe other sizes are available.

Or a slip coupling like this cut down with a short piece of 2 inch pipe inside.

Or a No-Hub adapter.

Does the shower drain slip into the pipe with O rings? Or is it glued?

Old 05-04-21, 09:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Easiest would be to see if you can cut the vertical pipe off more to allow room for a coupling and nibblet of pipe. If that won't work I would see if you can reach enough to cut upstream of the 90° fitting. Then you can install a new coupling, 90° and vertical riser to the height you need.

Old 05-04-21, 11:06 AM
Just came back from my local IRR plumbing supply house. What I need is a 2" street coupling. They in fact have that in a 45 but not in a straight. They are not sure if in fact it's made. But that might be the same as the no hub 2John mentions.

I'm almost sure I'll need to cut the pipe by a couple inches. That will be a challenge to get an even cut.

PD...cutting the drain back from the trap is not a good option. What you can't see under the floor is that that pipe has been cut and coupled several times. I assume the original builder made several mistakes when putting in the original shower. If your idea was viable I could saved myself several hundred dollars by buying standard pan with drain hole and then matched the drain to it. But as it turned out I had to have a shower pan custom made to match my drain location.

What 2John suggested might be the best. That slip coupling looks interesting. Does that slip over the pipe or into the pipe on either end?
That no hub adapter...on the smaller end, does that slip into 2" pipe or over it?

Old 05-04-21, 11:18 AM
Help me clarify terms. The slip coupling is listed as
2" PVC Sch. 40 Inside Connector (Pipe I.D. Spigot x Pipe I.D. Spigot)

and the no-hub adapter is listed as
2" PVC DWV No-Hub Adapter (Spigot x Hub)

So a spigot will insert into my 2" pipe and a hub will fit over the 2" pipe. Correct?

edit...Answered my own questions. Ordered both fittings from ACE hardware.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited by Norm201; 05-04-21 at 12:14 PM. Reason: answered my own questions.
Old 05-04-21, 01:41 PM
For the benefit of others who may have the same questions:

[QUOTE]2" PVC Sch. 40 Inside Connector[QUOTE]

This fits inside a 2" pipe on both ends to join them. Use it when you want a smooth outside (as in a well or installing through a small opening) or if a standard outside coupling won't work. If the shower drain fits inside the pipe this may not have the correct I.D to work. If the drain fits outside the pipe you would have to add a short piece of 2'" pipe onto the connector to get the correct pipe O.D. for the connection. For this item the designation of "spigot" is the piece that slips inside the PVC pipe on both ends.

2" PVC DWV No-Hub Adapter
The hub of this would fit on the 2' pipe and provide a 2" I.D. stub to connect to the drain (if the drain is meant to slip inside the 2" pipe.) For this item the designation of "hub" is the connection to the PVC pipe and the designation of "spigot" is the stub that fits into a no-hub connector. It should have the same I.D. as the 2" PVC pipe.

Old 05-04-21, 03:08 PM
C
Received 143 Votes on 116 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just cut the plywood to get access and then put it back after the pipe has been sized right?

Old 05-04-21, 05:06 PM
The shower drain uses a compression type rubber sleeve that will go over the 2" drain pipe. So the No-Hub adapter appears to be what I should use. However I also bought the connector. Between one of the two I should be able to gain that 1 1/2".

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-21, 01:45 PM
Specific to 2John. The no-hub adapter Inside adaptor works perfect. And it brings my pipe dead even with the floor. I could not ask for a better solution. Thank you for the heads up. BTW to those who may not have caught the problem involved, this is a shower and that elbow is not an elbow but a trap. Removing that and relocating it was not an option.

1 1/2" below floor

2" no-hub fit perfect

Brings level to top floor, no cutting needed

Just need to glue 2" pipe to end of hub for drain to gasket to grab on to.

Last edited by Norm201; 05-07-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-07-21, 02:22 PM
The no-hub adapter works perfect
Just to avoid any confusion, I think what you are showing is the Inside Connector. A short piece of 2 inch pipe on the exposed end will bring the outside diameter of the pipe to the appropriate size for proper connection of the drain fitting. Glad it worked out.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-21, 03:05 PM
Oops, you're right . Specified the wrong one. I corrected my error. Now I'm deciding if I should return the adaptor. Probably not worth the gas to go back to the store. Who knows may needed for some other job.

Old 05-08-21, 07:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, would the No-Hub adaptor have worked? How high does it extend? Is the O.D. of the spigot the same as the O.D. of the 2 inch pipe? Or if not exactly the same as 2 inch pipe would it accommodate the gasketed drain fitting?

And if there is a wrench tool provided to tighten the drain fitting from the inside, make sure you tie a piece of string to it before using so you can retrieve it if (when) you drop it inside the pipe. My contractor did not. Fortunately for him I have a magnetic retrieval tool.

Old 05-08-21, 11:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, would the No-Hub adaptor have worked?
No it would not have worked. Well perhaps if there were no other option. The hub end fits nicely over the 2" drain. But the length is too long. It extends a good 2 1/2" past the floor. And cutting it would not have worked because the spigot end (at least on this brand) has about a 1" length that matches the OD of 2" pipe. However, the body is about a 1/16 less and would not fit properly. I would have had to cut the spigot end and eliminate the 1" end that is exactly 2" OD pipe size. It may have been enough for the drain gasket to tighten but I would always be suspect of it. So I lucked out with the inside connector.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: