pebble tiled shower floor, can i caulk over this grout?

Old 05-16-21, 07:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question pebble tiled shower floor, can i caulk over this grout?

A contractor re-built this walk-in shower and used grout where the floor tile meets the wall tile. He used some kind of caulk over top, but it got black and moldy less than six months after. I pulled out all the caulking and the grout behind looks nice and clean and solid with no cracks. And due to the style of stones on the floor you'll see from the pics that it's not a sharp angle. Everything I read says there should be caulking there but to cover all that grout I think I'd have to use a gigantic bead. What do you all think?

this is the inside edge under the shower door

Old 05-16-21, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Caulk is mainly used for looks, so if it looks better without it, I guess that's totally up to you. Inside corners like that tend to crack eventually.

Old 05-16-21, 08:10 PM
R
Exclamation old moldy caulk

Here is a photo of his caulking job and the mold that I pulled out...

old caulk that got moldy

Old 05-16-21, 08:13 PM
R
It certainly *looks* better without the caulking but I fear cracks eventually and water getting under. And everything I hear says caulk where any perpendicular planes meat. Should I just keep a close eye on the grout and patch later if necessary?

Old 05-16-21, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
If the shower pan was done correctly, water all goes to the drain eventually whether its caulked or not.

Old 05-16-21, 10:43 PM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
but I fear cracks eventually and water getting under
Actually that is what it does, grout is not water proof and water seeps in, that is why you have a waterproof membrane below the tile to direct the water to the drain.

You are correct caulking is used where different plains meet and cracks in the grout occur, it's decorative more than a functional barrier.

It's not absolutely required so you saw what it looked like new vs removed so your choice. Just out of curiosity, what type of caulk was it?

Old 05-17-21, 05:16 AM
R
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know what kind he used originally, it was clear and fairly stretchy but pretty easy to pull off using a knife and scrapers, and my fingers. I'm guessing some kind of clear silicon. I think he just applied it two thin (appears to have been the common concave finger spread technique) and the edge of the bead allowed water behind, a common application problem.But all the mold came off with the caulk and now the grout is clean and pretty visually nice. I think I'll leave it as-is. I'm very careful to leave the shower door open after use and the whole thing dries well after a few hours (in case that makes any difference).

Old 05-17-21, 08:05 AM
I'm guessing some kind of clear silicon.
That's a pretty common use and a much discussed topic on this site.

Silicone is not a good choice for a shower, there are newer siliconized caulks with microban that will outlive that many times over!

Old 05-17-21, 09:39 AM
C
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a question. Since the grout is not waterproof couldn’t water enter through the nearby grout not under the caulk? Then through capillary action wick into the grout beneath the caulk? Then start growing mold as this area is now covered and less likely to dry quickly. If so, then possibly better left without caulk?

Old 05-17-21, 10:46 AM
Correct, yes, but that is why the newer caulks are better, they have Microban that does not support the mold growth, that is what you see with Silicon and it's such a PITA to remove and clean.

My 7ish year old shower remodel still looks clean and fresh!

Old 05-24-21, 10:16 AM
R
Yeah that was my problem- since the area between the floor pebbles and the wall tiles is not consistent, it would take a monster width bead of caulk to bond from the nearest pebble to the wall tiles. I'd mostly be just caulking from grout to grout and moisture will seep under the caulk all along the way. Which is basically what happened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: