Remove old side sprayer - kitchen sink

Old 09-29-21, 04:47 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove old side sprayer - kitchen sink

Hello. The side sprayer in our kitchen sink is leaking, so I'm getting ready to replace it with a new sprayer and hose (couldn't find just a spray head). I'm guessing this is the original because I unscrewed the head itself and also the part at the end (where the water comes out) and they were both pretty nasty looking.

The new one came with a quick-connect, but I'm not sure how the old one disconnects. Below are two pics of the old connection to the faucet. Do I just get a small screwdriver and nudge those white tabs on the right side, or is there some other technique I need to use to release them?

Also, the new Moen side sprayer came with both a long (3") and short (2") quick-connect pieces. What determines whether I use the short one or long one?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 09-30-21, 09:09 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got impatient this morning and took another look at the old connector. When I got my fingers on it, I realized there were two tabs I needed to squeeze together, so I got some needle nose pliers. The trick was to both pinch the white tabs together while pushing towards the back of the connector (minimal force). As you can see in the pics, they pop out on the opposite side. In the pics, the bottom one is not fully extended. The top one is. They need to be fully extended to be able to pull the connector away from the nipple of the faucet. You only need to release the top "collar" that connects to the nipple (although if the hose is making it difficult to get to it for some reason, you can release the bottom collar first and pull the hose out of the way).

I also finally looked at what came with the sprayer and realized they included two quick-connectors and one threaded connector (in case your faucet has threads).

I wasn't sure which one to use and thought it didn't really matter. Well, turns out it does. First, if you take either one of the quick connectors and try to pop them on the end of the hose, you'll soon realize only one end securely fits.

In the pics, you'll notice one end does not go over the metal "collar" of the hose, while the other end does. The one that did not go over the collar could easily be pulled off the hose. The one that did go over the collar locked in place and could not be pulled off.

I initially used the longer of the connectors on the faucet nipple and realized neither end was securely locking onto the nipple. So, I grabbed the shorter one and found that one end (and one end only) of the shorter quick connector DID lock securely to the faucet nipple.

So, keep in mind that only one end of the connector will fit securely on the hose end, and only one of the quick-connectors (either the 2" or 3" connector) will lock securely on the nipple (and only one end of that connector will fit securely on the nipple). Just try both connectors/both ends and you'll figure it out.

Here's a link to the pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cDSrT77omYniuqB18

Last edited by hikerguy; 09-30-21 at 10:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: