Water leaking in my toilet bowl

Old 11-11-21, 09:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leaking in my toilet bowl

We had a pretty high water bill so we started looking at our toilets. One appeared to have a small amount water leaking into the bowl continuously, though the toilet was not 'running'. We changed the flush valve assembly, flapper, etc., but not the overflow tube, and it is still leaking. Before we remove the entire tank and replace that overflow tube, is there something else it could be? Also would like to buy all the parts we need at one time so we don't have to keep running to the store, with the price of gas so high! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-11-21, 09:57 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try lifting the flapper valve manually and then cleaning thoroughly the hole at the bottom of the tank where it seats. Frequently, calcium, lime and crud builds up there, leading to chronic leakage. Once the water level drops a little bit as a result, the valve will open and the toilet will try to refill again. I have had success with this just scraping it off with my finger.q

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-21, 10:30 AM
Received 41 Upvotes on 36 Posts
If the rubber refill hose that goes into the overflow tube is pushed too low down the tube, it can cause constant siphoning. Make sure the refill hose is held above the overflow tube by a clip.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 11-13-21, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,645 Upvotes on 1,473 Posts
Many times replacing just the flapper won't help, and in those cases you need to replace the entire flush valve, which comes with a flapper that is made to fit the flush valve exactly. Sometimes the universal ones just don't seal on the old flush valve no matter what you do.

This kit contains all the parts for an entire replacement.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-21, 10:04 AM
Received 300 Upvotes on 256 Posts
Is the water level when filled below the top of the overflow tube? If not then just adjust the float or fill valve so it stops filling at a lower level about an inch below the top of the tube.

Old 11-11-21, 07:33 PM
S
My husband cleaned the area under the flapper very well. The water level is below the top of the overflow tube. The water tube is fixed about an inch above the tube. When the toilet flushes, the water stops filling the tank, at the correct level, but the dribble coming down one side of the toilet bowl continues. When we turn off the water, it continues even when the water level is below the flapper. It finally stops when the tank is almost empty.

Old 11-12-21, 07:56 AM
Received 300 Upvotes on 256 Posts
It sounds like the flapper is still leaking, but...

when the water level is below the flapper. It finally stops when the tank is almost empty.
That is usually a very small distance. Possibly a leak at the bottom the overflow tube (cracked?) or a leak where the flapper assembly connects through the tank is leaking within the donut gasket into the bowl inlet rather than onto the floor.

With water turned off, how long until "almost empty"?

Old 11-13-21, 03:47 PM
S
So, after replacing all the inner parts, then taking them out and putting them back in about 3 times, we decided it was the flapper. My husband bought a Fluidmaster PerforMax Flush valve repair kit at a big box store and that did stop the steady stream of water coming down the side of the bowl. We put some food coloring in the tank afterwards and unfortunately it does appear there is still some leakage into the bowl coming from somewhere else, but it's definitely better. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 11-15-21, 03:49 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
I have always had the best luck with Korky flappers, but I have also had a few that just wouldn't seal well. They are cheap so just try another new one if necessary.

Old 11-26-21, 06:42 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
what would you use to clean the hole in the porcelain? I am having the same problem with the toilet running and replace the flapper. it is an eljer touch flush and I was thinking a build up on the ceramic keeps it from creating a seal. would you use steel wool, chemicals, or something else? thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: