How to replace a garbage disposal and install new piping?

Old 06-23-22, 06:31 AM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
How to replace a garbage disposal and install new piping?

Hello. Please watched the video linked to below. It shows everything. I just want to remove the disposal and install new pipes. After reviewing the video, please tell me how to do it and what tools and supplies I'll need. Also, it would be great if you could point me to some applicable Youtube videos. Thank you as always for your help. Can't believe how many jobs I've done with the help of this website!

https://youtu.be/gI5U-2ADrT4

Top Answer

06-23-22, 09:49 AM
zoesdad
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but it sounds as if the goal might be to eliminate the disposal, not replace it.

Old 06-23-22, 07:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Have you read the installation instructions for your disposal? Which part is the problem or causing you difficulty?

Old 06-23-22, 08:21 AM
T
Which part of the job? Every part. I have never removed a garbage disposal. I have never installed new piping under a sink.

Also, this is the original garbage disposal that was installed when this condo was built in 2006.

Old 06-23-22, 08:40 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Easiest install is with a replacement that is same manufacturer and model as current disposal. Otherwise the attaching collar and plumbing connections can get more involved. After reading the install instructions, do them in reverse to remove old. Then install the new.

Old 06-23-22, 09:49 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but it sounds as if the goal might be to eliminate the disposal, not replace it.

CasualJoe, TonySexton voted this post useful.
Old 06-23-22, 09:52 AM
T
Yes, I want to remove the disposal. Then I want to install new piping. I do not want another disposal.

If you watch the video, it should be pretty clear what I need.

Old 06-23-22, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Look up how to install a kitchen sink. You'll need a new basket in the one basin the previously held a disposal. Then connect with the drain piping. Most stores sell a complete sink drain kit in one bag. The worst part of the job will be tightening the huge nut used to hold the basket to the sink.

Old 06-23-22, 01:18 PM
T
I was hoping to have some information that's specific to the existing pipe arrangement if at all possible. Looking up how to install a new kitchen sink is quite broad.

Old 06-23-22, 03:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
"Looking up how to install a new kitchen sink is quite broad."
So is your thread. It's like asking "how do you remodel a bathroom". Tell me everything I need to do.

I believe you are over thinking this. It is a pretty straightforward project. The parts are inexpensive and you've got flexibility in how you route the piping and everything is out of sight so your work doesn't even have to be pretty.

You need a sink basket. That's the drain part in the bottom of the sink basin and has a removeable strainer basket. Then you need a kitchen, double sink drain kit. They are less than $20. Buy two in case you cut something the wrong length and need more parts.

Installing the basket in the sink is the biggest PITA. And it can be a PITA. It's a very large diameter nut so there's a lot of friction when you tighten the nut making the basket turn. It really helps to have a helper to put two screwdrivers into the drain and a long something between to keep it from turning while someone is below tightening the nut. The nut is BIG so I use a 20" channel lock plier.

After the basket the drain piping is like LEGO's. One bit connects to the other. The kits have all the parts you need (just make sure you buy the correct kit). They have slip nut fittings you tighten by hand. You can easily put things together hand tight and move them around until everything fits. For the straight pipe sections you probably will have to cut them to length. But, the fittings are designed to give you about 3" of adjustment so it's really hard to screw up. And, if you do make a mistake open the second kit you bought and consider it a cheap learning experience.

TonySexton voted this post useful.
Old 06-24-22, 04:08 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Sorry, post 1 heading says "How to replace a garbage disposal and install new piping".

Old 06-24-22, 04:47 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Tony, PD's primer is about as detailed you'll get without seeing specifics. If you insist on doing this yourself (and I think you might be taking on more than you're reday for) take each section as a project in itself. So number one is removal of the GD. Just concentarte on that. Once that is accomplished move onto the next step. Buy a new kitchen sink drain kit. Study the installation carefully and don't forget the carboard gasket (many people throw it away, don't do that). Complete that installation as a seperate project. Next is the connection to the existing drain piping. Again test fit all parts and then when you're sure, tighten everything (in most cases if all is plumb, drain piping need only be hand tightened, no wrench is needed). There are many spud wrenched specific for the large drain nut. It's worth buying it.
Send some pics to us and we may be able to provide a few extra pointers. Do you haver dishwasher that needs to be integrated with the system?

Old 06-24-22, 09:01 AM
T
You said I need "20" channel lock pliers." Would you please link to an affordable set of those?

Also, you mentioned cutting pipe. Does this kit come w/ a saw?

Finally, do I need any kind of sealant? If so, does the kit include it?

Finally, and you may have overlooked this, I have a dishwasher. Does the kit have a pipe with a branch for the dishwasher hose?

Old 06-24-22, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Just search online for a cheap pair of channel locks. I have good quality ones so they aren't cheap. But they are quite handy so maybe getting a decent pair wouldn't be a bad idea if you are going to be doing more repairs in the future.

Sink drain kits do not contain tools. The pipe is thin wall plastic so it cuts easily. You can use a chop saw, band saw, hack saw or any fine toothed wood saw.

You might need plumbers putty when installing the sink basket. Some versions use a rubber gasket and don't need putty while some still use putty. Other than that all the connections use no sealant.

Buy a sink drain kit that has the dishwasher discharge. The kit will be in a box or plastic bag and have contents like in the photo below. The plastic rings in the lower left are the seals (why you don't need caulk or sealant). I think when you finish with the job you'll be surprised how easy it is to use these kits.

Old 06-24-22, 02:38 PM
T
OK thanks. Still not clear on the 20" channel-locking pliers. Do they really have to be 20" from top to bottom?

I have some pretty solid ones that are about 12.5" from top to bottom. I really need another eight inches?

If so, will these suffice?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-in-...hoCCAYQAvD_BwE

Old 06-24-22, 04:02 PM
Unless you have bigger plans to use the expensive channel lock pliers, skip it. Not that the channel locks arn't a good investment, but for your case skip the channel locks. They make spud wrenches specfic for sink drains. Available at any home improvement store. And thier cheap.

Old 06-24-22, 04:17 PM
Old 06-24-22, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Adjustable oil filter wrenches work great on basket nuts.

Old 06-24-22, 04:47 PM
Get the right tool for the job. Yes the channel locks will work. So will the filter wrench. But after you scrap your knucks a few times and you strip the nubs on the nut, you'll buy the spud wrench. There are many types to choose from. Do it right or not at all. You need to buy a tool, buy the correct one for the job.

Last edited by Norm201; 06-24-22 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-25-22, 06:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, a 12" channel lock will not work. The jaws don't open far enough to grip the large nut.

As mentioned there are special wrenches. I've got one and it works great... but I don't use it. I'm not a fan because it's a pretty specialized tool, good for that one job. The big crescent wrench gets used a lot because it's so versatile though more expensive to buy up front.

Old 06-25-22, 06:41 AM
pretty specialized tool, good for that one job
But that one job can occure often enough to make the purchase worthwhile. And the tools is not expensive. In fact it's dirt cheap compared to a quality channel lock.
The one I pictured in post # 15 is as low as $7.00. Cheap price for a tool that is meant for the job. A large enough quality, Channellock that will do the job will cost at minimum about $40.00.
I'm not against the channel lock. In fact I would not be without one. Fantastic tool. But in a confined location like under a sink, and for as litle a $7, get the right tool for the job. Even if you only use it once! Seems like a no brainer to me. ​​​​​​​

Old 06-26-22, 06:30 PM
T
Pilot Dane said:

"Then you need a kitchen, double sink drain kit."

Why a "double sink" drain kit? If you look at the video in #1, each side of the sink has its own drain. The other side of the sink is fine.

Also, do these sink drain kits, double or otherwise, come with the plumber's putty that you need when installing the new basket?

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: