Wall Damage from Plumbing Rust?

Old 06-24-22, 04:02 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall Damage from Plumbing Rust?

We recently discovered rusting around our overflow drain that ruined the gasket. I am wondering what the likelihood is that this has been compromised enough to leak into the floor/ceiling below? We recently had a major project due to a long term toilet leak that was not taken care of before we moved in and just had the drywall repaired so I am wary of the same issue happening. Pictures attached are what we saw when we opened it up, then after we removed the old gasket and got it all cleaned. We put in a new clip-on gasket and sealed the top with putty for the future (last picture attached). Our plumber is saying that the overflow drain will need to be replaced but I'm not sure.

Old 06-24-22, 04:53 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Don't know why plumber claims the over flow tube needs replacement. If it shows corrosion, then it should be replaced now. If no corrsion then it's fine. No in between. Not sure the putty was a good idea. It's going dryout. crack and leak if the gasket is not properly installed. If anything, silicone sealer might be a better choice. But agin if gasket is properly set is should not need additional sealing.

Old 06-24-22, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The overflow pipe is plastic. So, it can't rust out and probably does not need to be replaced. The rust looks to be the tub.

Tub overflows almost always leak... eventually. It's just a crappy way to connect a pipe to a tub. The foam rubber gasket helps but it's a big, odd shaped sometimes slightly curved area that is difficult to seal. The biggest thing is to avoid deep baths that can put solid splashes into the drain. Stuff like that can get enough water around the drain to cause wood and ceiling damage below.

I don't think I would have tried plumbers putty there. It will dry out, get brittle and crumble away. Maybe silicone caulk would be an option. Though, since plumbers putty (oil based clay) has been applied the area will have to be very thoroughly cleaned to get caulk to stick properly.

Old 06-24-22, 06:21 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So you had the same post regarding this earlier, should keep everything in a single post to keep continuity.

What is this and what do I do?

So you got the gasket resolved, now you asking about damage to the surrounding walls/floors?

We cant see anything from here, there should be an access panel on the back side of the wall or you will have to open it up to take a look.

Old 06-24-22, 02:40 PM
M
I added a new post because I wasn't getting any more responses on the other one. I can certainly take off the putty, but I'm concerned about showers being run in this tub combo for years and a slow leak into the floor/ceiling below. I don't think there's an access panel in the back or I would definitely look in there.

Old 06-24-22, 03:03 PM
I don't think there's an access panel in the back or I would definitely look in there.
Without that observation not much anybody is going to be able to help with!

Old 06-24-22, 04:05 PM
What is on the back side of the tub? Is it a blank wall that you can have clear access to? You can make your own access panel. Send a picture.

Marq1 voted this post useful.
Old 06-26-22, 12:33 PM
M
The back of the tub is actually in a closet and it seems there might be an access panel there. But, I don't know how to get to it because we also have a set of drawers built in (pictures attached).

Old 06-26-22, 12:40 PM
Oh yes, that is an access panel. You are very fortunate. When you say built in drawas do mean they cannot be removed? They should just slide out as unit. It may be eaiser to remove the draws first.

Old 06-26-22, 12:40 PM
M
Quick update, as I was able to access it. I can't get back there given the small space but I stuck my phone in the hole and snapped a few pictures.

Old 06-26-22, 12:43 PM
Very very nice. Even in very tight quarters you woud be able to switch out that overflow tube. It has slip nuts. Any reason you can take out the drawers?

Old 06-26-22, 01:00 PM
Need to look more downward to see what is going on but so far looks pretty normal!

Old 06-26-22, 01:08 PM
M
Thanks to you both. This picture was taken just after somebody showered in that bathroom, so if there was water damage, I would hope it would be especially evident.

The drawers can be taken out but it's definitely more than a one person job and I'm the only one right now, lol. We have a plumber coming in Wednesday for a second opinion so we will fully remove it then.

Old 06-26-22, 01:15 PM
I don't see any type of water damage. I think you're good! I would clean up the rust area with Bon-Ami and maybe touch up with enaml appliance paint and call it good. I'm betting that rust is just from long range moisture.

Old 06-26-22, 06:44 PM
M
Thank you very much. I also have some Rust-Oleum brand rust dissolver, would that be advisable or do you think it's fine to just clean and seal?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: