Replace sink strainer

Old 09-10-22, 07:03 AM
K
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Replace sink strainer

After a long delay I am fixing the cracked drain of my wet bar ( kitchen sink)
everything is done and I just need touninstall the strainer now
When I removed the strainer , I found some cracked rubber like stuff. Cleaned it , but I am confused what to use -- plumber's putty or silicone caulk or a new washer ?
I got a new strainer nut that came with 2 washer.

What is the order -- one washer on top, one on bottom ?

Old 09-10-22, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
You use either plumbers putty or silicone (your preference) on top of the sink. Underneath the rubber washer goes on first, then usually there is a slip washer made of cardboard that allows the nut to slide and tighten more easily.

IMO plumbers putty is better... less of a mess to clean up. Roll it into a thick noodle with your hands, place that noodle around the perimeter, then push the strainer basket down onto it. More will squish out as you tighten, just peel it off and polish it clean with a cloth once it's tight.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-22, 10:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Most common is the way Xsleeper mentioned and is like shown in this diagram.

But... some drain baskets you put the rubber washer on the top side and use no plumbers putty. This depends on your sink design. The recessed ring of the sink is slightly deeper to allow extra room for the thickness of the rubber washer compared to the other style has a pretty shallow recessed ring and use plumbers putty because it squishes down to almost nothing.
[img]Some drain baskets you put the rubber washer on the top side and use no plumbers putty[/img]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: