Bath sink faucet valve not coming off

Old 09-14-22, 07:57 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bath sink faucet valve not coming off

Hello Folks,

My bathroom sink faucet was showing some signs of problems last few months (sometimes irregular water flow), but other than that it was working fine.

All of a sudden, few days ago, the water coming out of the faucet came to stand still (almost no water, of not water at all). I checked for kinked flexible tubing, etc, and nothing abnormal to the point of stopping water flow. Everything else in the bathroom is working fine (good water volume, pressure, and flow). There is no visible leakage near the sink or elsewhere in the vicinity. This problem is present in both the cold and hot water for the sink, and it since it has two separate and independent valves for the cold and hot water lines (it is 3 hole sink and faucet set) at first one would think that it would be unlikely for both of them to fail at the same time.

So, I went ahead and test the other most obvious point of failure at this stage: the water lines going to the faucet valve. And, once disconnected from the faucet's valve, the cold water line once opened provides plenty of water and plenty of pressure.

Thus, I followed the most logical step that was to replace the sink faucet set for a new one. There is no apparent brand name or whatnot for the old set, and I stumbled upon a conundrum whereby I can not remove the valves from the sink. Below are some pics:

It seems that the valves assembly can only be removed in in the downward direction, but in order to do that I would have to remove part of the handle. I tried unscrewing the screw that seems to hold the hand in place to no avail (gets loose, but does not come out and neither does the handle).

Any insights and inputs would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-22, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Your reduced flow and then no flow problem is typically cause by a clogged filter screen in the aerator. (especially if you're on well water)

You take the screw out of the handle. If you can't pull the handle off.... you use a handle puller.
Just one style.... they're available at all home improvement stores..... handle puller.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-15-22, 02:49 AM
T
Pjmax,

Yeah, I see your point. But in my case the water flow was very good with small variations that could be attributed to the fact that one of the valve assemblies was often loose from the vanity due to the fact that the large hex nut under the assembly tended to undo itself over time. Also, my house is not on well water but city water (which in this city is considered pretty good)

I took the screen out of the spout and it seemed to have some mineral build up, but did not seem to clogged really. Then, I tested it with a hose and does seem to have any meaningful blockage.

The screw that seemed to the holding the handle to the valve was loose but was finicky to come out. With a strong magnet it came right out. Still, the handle is not moving at all; and it likely needs to be removed in order to remove the valve from the vanity.

I ordered a handle puller (it resembles a bearing puller) as you suggested. Hopefully, it will work out.

EDIT: something odd happened. I tested it again with only one valve (hot water) connected to the spout and with the aerator in place as well, and the water did flow just fine through the spot and into the sink (I simply covered the flexible tubing that would come from the cold water valve and into the spout with a finger)

Old 09-17-22, 04:54 PM
T
Below shows the effort and force used in attempting to remove the handle to no avail - not budging at all.

There must be something else holding this handle in place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: