Standing water in dishwasher

Old 09-15-22, 03:01 PM
S
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Standing water in dishwasher

Hi-

We have an Asko dishwasher (I can look up the model if needed) and I have notice a little clean standing water in the bottom of the unit lately and it's driving me nuts. Every time I think I have it resolved it happens again. It has been running fine for years.

I took the drain hose off and made sure it was clear. I removed the black pipe and white pipe underneath the sink (above the P-trap) and completely cleaned it out, there was just a little gunk in there. The garbage disposable is clean, I cleaned it out with ice and didn't see a trace of gunk in there. Didn't fix the issue.

I have run it numerous times and it always fully empties after the cycle. When I notice a little water in there I will start a cycle and it immediately pumps the water out and then I stop the cycle so I think the pump is ok?

So where the heck is the water coming from? Is there an issue where it is somehow coming back from the drain tube when we use the sink or is there a chance the fresh water inlet is letting some leak back into the unit?

I just want to make sure I have exhausted everything I can before calling a dishwasher repair tech in.

Thanks.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-15-22 at 06:51 PM. Reason: labeled pic
Old 09-15-22, 06:35 PM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Many dishwashers have a check valve in the drain line to prevent water from flowing back into the dishwasher once the pump shuts off. They can wear out or they can get clogged with gunk that prevents them from closing completely. Not sure if your Asko has one or not, but I'd start by checking that out.

But what's going on under your sink? Do you have two dishwashers? Or a washing machine in the kitchen? Normal place for a DW drain is the top of the disposal where the black hose is attached. Is that where your DW is plumbed? And do you have an above counter air gap? If you have an air gap, make sure it is cleaned because a blockage there can cause drain problems too.

The following 2 users liked this post by CarbideTipped:
Old 09-15-22, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Several problems there.

If that green line is the dishwasher.... that sag/loop needs to fixed. Can't have a loop there.
The dishwasher should be discharging into the top of the disposer where the blue arrow is.
Right now you have the disposer outlet forcing water and crap back into the dishwasher drain.

What is the black line/blue arrow ?
What is the flex line/red arrow ?

Old 09-15-22, 07:21 PM
S
Iíll have to take a look when I get home, this is all confusing to me.

I should have noted we have 2 dishwashers for some reason. The red arrow is from the second unit that is tied to the air gap. I have no idea what the black pipe at the blue arrow is so Iíll have to find out and get back to you. Maybe the air gap is tied into that?

If so, where should the air gap be connected to, the lower disposal connection? And basically the entire contraption that is in the bottom of the disposal needs to move up to where the other black tube is connect to it correct? Also, take the slack out of the gray tube so there is no second loop?

thx!

Old 09-15-22, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
That would make sense.... the red and blue lines are from a second dishwasher.
The red line is up to the air gap and the black hose is the line back down the drain.
That leaves the second dishwasher improperly connected.

Correct... no slack in the drain line.
As it is now.... that loop can get filled with discharge from the disposer.

Old 09-15-22, 09:11 PM
S
Ok, the blue and red arrows are from the second washer to the air gap like you said. I do suspect the water in the DW is from a failure in the unit itself such as the check valve since its been working for years and just now stopped.

1. The bottom outlet in the garbage disposal is only for discharge of water correct?

2. The right side DW should be connected to the upper part of the disposal along with the DW to the left? So once I fix this, the lower disposal hookup will have a simple 1.5" pipe that goes directly into the p-trap and out?

3. Our air gap has had drain flies for years and I am over it. I would like to put a soap dispenser through the hole in the counter if possible. If both of our dishwashers have the high loop on the back of them can I get a splitter and connect them directly to the upper part of the disposal and get rid of the air gap altogether?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-14-22, 08:51 PM
S
Asko repair was finally able to come out today. It was the valve as mentioned above. Glad itís fixed.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: