Horrendous Bathroom Odor

Old 09-20-22, 08:07 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrendous Bathroom Odor

I wasn't sure of where to post this other than the odor is coming from the bathroom. And no it's not the obvious (poop!).

We have a terrible smell coming from our master bathroom. It's hard to describe the odor other than maybe a dead animal. I first thought it was from the piping, but we've cleaned the shower drain, multiple times using a variety of methods. I've cleaned out the P trap and into the wall underneath the sink. I've sniffed around the ceiling exhaust fan, but nothing. There is an attic in the ceiling in the adjoining closet. I've looked up there and smelled nothing and the insulation didn't look disturbed. There is also another bathroom right next to the master bathroom, but no smell in there.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? Or who can I call to have someone come in and investigate? The smell isn't present 100% of the time, and there doesn't appear to be any pattern as to when we run the water.

if this post should go into a different forum topic, please let me know.

Nauseously yours....Mike

Old 09-20-22, 08:16 AM
P
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder if there is something blocking the plumbing vent that is causing it to drain one of the traps. It's not just about cleaning the traps. Can you make sure that they have water in them? If they are dry, they will let the sewer gases (dangerous) in to the room.

- Peter

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-20-22, 09:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
If it smells like dead animal then it is possible you have something dead under the house or within the walls. If your house has a crawl space you can go under and investigate. If the animal died within the walls there isn't much you can do without being crazy drastic.

I would also check plumbing sources. You didn't mention checking the toilet's wax seal but that is a common source of foul smells.

Old 09-20-22, 09:36 AM
D
Peter...I've taken the sink trap apart and cleaned back into the wall. That plumbing in the wall is shared with another bathroom which has no smell, so I don't think there's anything further into the wall that's blocked. The shower drain has water in the trap so nothing should come back into the room.

Pilot...the bathroom is on the 2nd floor and the house is over a basement. I replaced the toilet's wax seal about 1-2 years ago. It's possible it went bad....I'll check. The house is 28 years old.

My next course of action would be to investigate the ceiling fan's venting system....although I have screening on the outside of the house where the exhaust vent cover is.

Old 11-08-22, 06:30 AM
D
Problem solved!.... It was the vanity lights. About 2 months ago I bought 4 E26 to E12 socket reducers...which is about when the problem started. I don't remember the brand but bought them at Menards. It was a 4 pack. I do NOT recommend buying them. After removing them and using different bulbs, problem went away. Major relief!!!!!!

Old 11-08-22, 08:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
So it turned out to be a burning/hot plastic smell and not the dead animal smell?

Old 11-08-22, 09:02 AM
D
I can't even describe the smell. I know the smell of burning/hot plastic and electrical... And it wasn't that. Just plain weird. I've used other reducers in the past and didn't have it, so whatever material this had, it wasn't pleasant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: