New stool (toilet) not sitting flat on floor

Old 10-07-22, 11:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
New stool (toilet) not sitting flat on floor

I replaced the stool in my daughter's bathroom due to a cracked tank on the old one. The old one fit perfectly fine on the floor but the new one rocks forward and back despite all my efforts to the contrary. It is stable side to side. I would estimate the gap at the front and back to be about 1/2" when the stool is pushed to the floor at the opposite end. I have started the process to pull the stool and reinstall it but am hoping someone might have some insight as to the problem before I use the only remaining wax seal in the house.

Should it matter, the new toilet is a Niagara Stealth and it is replacing an American Standard Champion 4.

Old 10-07-22, 12:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
This post is about a toilet.
---

What type of wax ring and how many are installed?

It sounds like the toilet is being held off the floor by the toilet flange or wax ring. Either there are too many wax rings or the wrong type installed. Or it's a difference in the design of the bowl portion of the toilet.

Old 10-07-22, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Did the old commode have any shims under it? It's not uncommon to have to shim a commode to get it to set properly - especially over tile.

Old 10-07-22, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
It's rarely that a toilet sits 100% flush on a tile floor.
I always carry a package of plastic basin shims with me.
plastic shims

Old 10-07-22, 03:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
The old wax ring was removed and the current one is the one provided with the toilet. FWIW, I'm the one who installed the old one and it sat flat without any shims. Floor is sheet vinyl, if that matters.

Old 10-08-22, 10:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Have you determined if the toilet is hitting the drain flange? If yes, then you will need to lower the flange or get another toilet that has a recessed drain. Some are recessed above the plane of the toilet's bottom while others are flush with the bottom of the toilet.

If the toilet is not hitting the flange I suspect you have a bad, warped bowl. I have seen misshapen ones that made it past QC. If that is the case you'll need to at least replace the bowl or shim it to make it work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: