New Drain Assembly for Bathtub Fitting Issue

Old 11-14-22, 06:55 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Drain Assembly for Bathtub Fitting Issue

Hello Folks,

The previous bathtub drain basket had its inside crossbar broken, so purchased a new 1-3/8 bathtub drain assembly kit. The tub has a drain shoe/waste with measuring 1-3/8 size, thus that kit did fit it for most part.

The drain assembly kit came along with a rubber washer, but there is nowhere to insert the rubber washer. It is my understanding that the rubber washer goes between the but and the plumbing underneath, and not between the basket and the tub (between the basket and tub one should apply a layer of plumber's putty). And once I put the gasket washer between the basket and the tub, the basket's flanges seem to protrude and is not level with the surface of the tub.

Below are some pics depicting the situation:

Drain Assembly

Bathtub drain shoe

As seen from the pics above some plumber's putty were added to the drain basket along with the rubber washer under it, but I am not sure whether or not that is the right way or approach. Should the washer be eliminated and only the putty be used instead?

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-14-22, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
If you aren't replacing the drain parts under the tub, you will not be using the rubber washer.

The rubber washer goes under the tub.

Old 11-14-22, 08:14 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XSleeper

I kind of realize that. At a different house with a different bathtub, etc, I did replace the washer that was under the tub. The point is that I don't see a way of doing the same thing with this tub: it does not seem to have a way to slide the washer in-between the bathtub and the plumbing underneath.

So, maybe, I have phrased and posed my original question in the wrong way. It should be worded like that: "are there bathtubs that simply don't use the washer? And in this situation the washer should simply be discarded?"

Old 11-14-22, 11:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
"are there bathtubs that simply don't use the washer? And in this situation the washer should simply be discarded?"
Yes and yes.

Clean the tub surface of all the old putty.
Apply a ring of putty to the new fitting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: