Shower caulk wearing thin

Old 11-25-22, 01:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower caulk wearing thin

Hi - I have re-caulked the lower part of my shower twice in the last 12-18 months. It's pretty basic work, and it looks like I'm doing it well initially but it keeps wearing away, and now it's worn away again. Today after someone used the shower we had a slow drip from the kitchen ceiling underneath - is it possible these few openings could cause a significant leak? I hope so, otherwise we have a bigger problem.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by XSleeper; 11-25-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
First, you have a leak in your shower. The tile, grout and caulk do NOT waterproof the shower. That work is done by a membrane installed before the tile work.

Caulk does not "wear away". Color matched caulk is often used where wall meets floor. Yours looks like grout and appears to be crumbling and falling out. There is often some minute movement between floors and walls in a home which is why flexible caulking is used at the joint between the two while grout is used on the walls and floor.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-26-22, 08:04 AM
Received 300 Upvotes on 256 Posts
Don't waste your money!! A plumber can fix a pipe leak, but you do not know if that is the problem until you open the ceiling below and find out. A plumber is not needed to fix a waterproofing leak in a wall or floor joint.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-25-22, 02:03 PM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
otherwise we have a bigger problem.
Sure sounds like it, everything in the shower is for show, as noted the liner, or waterproofing, or membrane is what keeps the water in,

Now you got to figure out what and where the leak is coming from. Kind of sounds like opening the ceiling below the shower is probably a first step.

Old 11-25-22, 02:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crap

Thanks for the replies! This is actually colored caulk, not grout. Iíll patch it up just so it looks better, but I guess I better call a plumber. Appreciate the insights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: