Kitchen Sink Draining Slowly

Old 11-28-22, 05:03 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Sink Draining Slowly

I'm having issues with my kitchen sink draining extremely slowly. I took some pieces of the pipes apart and let the water drain out, but that did not solve the problem. I then took the vent(?) piece pictured below off and noticed that the water is standing just below the rim of the pipe in the second picture. It does drain eventually, albeit very, very slowly.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Trying to avoid having a plumber come in if it's an easy fix.

Old 11-28-22, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
If water is near the top of the fitting in your second photo, you need to snake the drain, feeding it down that opening as you crank it. You can rent a drain snake most anywhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by XSleeper:
Old 11-29-22, 01:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Green Gobbler and a big pot of boiling water took care of my slow draining/clogged kitchen sink a year ago. I was truly amazed how well it worked.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Green-Go...010D/205548908

Old 11-29-22, 05:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Do what XSleeper recommended. Your drain line is clogged and water has backed up to your air admittance valve (AAV). Pour down the drain products very rarely work and in your situation the clog is an unknown distance away. So, snake/auger out the line to clear the clog. And, judging by the amount of yuck built up around your AAV I'd say this line has been running slow or backing up for a long time so the drain could really use a good cleaning out.

Old 11-29-22, 10:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I get the drain cleaner stigma as I'm the King doubter of easy sounding shortcuts. But know this, my clog was over 25 feet away from the sink, I know this because my drain snake is that long and I tried it first without success. I took a chance with GG feeling that $8 was worth a try before a $100+ plumber call. I gave the sink a multi hour rest so that ALL the water had a chance to fully drain past the clog point. Poured GG directly into the drain entry followed by about two quarts of boiling water, hoping that amount would have a moment to eat away at the clog, then followed that up about 2 minutes later with about another gallon of boiling water to give it some extra pressure. In about 30 seconds I heard an incredible whoosh sound come up through the drain line when the clog got pushed downstream. I was blown away that it worked so well. Maybe I got lucky with my results, but I'll be damned, it worked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: