new disposal, "quiet collar"/sink baffle too tight

Old 03-29-23, 06:27 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
new disposal, "quiet collar"/sink baffle too tight

I just replaced a 20+ year ols disposal with an Insinkerator Evolution Esteem Plus 1HP Disposal which is amazing, so quiet I initially thought it wasn't working. The only problem is the rubber baffle is so restrictive water barely flows down the drain unless I prop it open with a spatula or something. Ironically the baffle in the old one had worn away to almost nothing. I've tried cutting straight lines on several of the folds but it's still a problem. It pops out easily enough so we'll often just remove it but if we run the disposal without it in place it'll splash straight up. Are there less restrictive designs available? I've considered the Danco "disposal genie" but I'd rather not have yet another single-function gadget in the sink.

Emerson - Insinkerator product direct link

Last edited by PJmax; 03-29-23 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added product link
Old 03-29-23, 08:19 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
I have a similar model and it acts more or less the same. I think the design contributes to how quiet the unit is. I've found that starting the disposal usually creates enough "pull" that the water clears and drains properly. And it will usually start draining once the water gets a little deeper above the baffle, and once it starts flowing, it tends to keep flowing.

Old 03-29-23, 08:23 AM
I've found that starting the disposal usually creates enough "pull" that the water clears and drains properly. And it will usually start draining once the water gets a little deeper above the baffle, and once it starts flowing, it tends to keep flowing.
yeah, if that were my experience I would not have posted here....

Old 03-29-23, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing.
I consider it normal and just push it open it manually if it doesn't prime by itself.

I think it's mostly setup like that to reduce kickback/discharge which I've seen cause damage.

I put the direct link in your first post as your link is to your Ebay account and is private to us.
Check thru the reviews there. See if someone else comments on it.

Old 03-30-23, 04:52 AM
I put the direct link in your first post as your link is to your Ebay account and is private to us.
​​​​​​​thanks; I didn't even mean to link my eBay purchase. I just copy/pasted the make/model.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: