Toilet issue - leak

Old 09-30-23, 04:09 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet issue - leak

Good afternoon. I replaced the fill valve and flapper on my toilet. First time I replaced the fill valve. Everything seems ok. The toilet is flushing and there's no leaking. However, it seems that the toilet takes a long time after it flushes to stop running. It does stop, but it could be me focusing on it for too long, but it feels like it takes longer. Also, my wife commented that the toilet is "louder" than it was before.

Are these issues I need to be concerned about or could it just be the nature of the new fill valve?

This is the fill valve that I bought: LINK

Last edited by RJHNY1; 09-30-23 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-30-23, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
You got a very popular and proven fill valve with a Fluidmaster - probably the best. I don't what which model you installed. Fluidmaster has a 400A Standard model and a 400H High Performance model.

Here's the difference between the two Fluidmaster models:
The 400A is a standard refill valve that controls the water in the tank, it controls fill time and water level.The 400H is a performance fill valve that also controls the water in the tank. The 400H fill valve has an additional adjustment for the water in the toilet bowl using an independent adjustment knob.

Maybe the old fill valve was a bit different in some way compared to the new one you just installed that made it a little quieter as it filled the tank.

With normal water pressure and the cutoff value to the fill valve fully open the toilet tank should fill and shutoff in no more than two minutes. Maybe at the time, two minutes just seemed like it was forever.

Old 09-30-23, 05:26 PM
R
Thank you. That's what I was saying to my wife. I couldn't tell if it was a long time or if after an hour of working on it, I wanted to be done and 2 minutes of watching it fill and run felt like an eternity. What I'll do is, I'll flush the toilet and time it and see how long it takes to completely stop running. It's 7:30pm here on the east coast of the US and I badly need dinner and a shower, so I will do the time test either later tonight or in the morning and report back.

I got the cheaper/less fancy one of the two models. I plan to replace this toilet in its entirety in the next year or so, when we give the bathroom a little facelift. Of course, this stupid toilet couldn't hold on just a little bit longer.

Thank you!

Old 09-30-23, 05:39 PM
Haha, you're very welcome.

I just tested mine and it took 95 seconds from flush to shutoff, so a tad over 1˝ minutes.

Old 10-01-23, 12:57 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 407 Upvotes on 362 Posts
I'd verify a few things.
1) Ensure the under-toilet shutoff valve is fully open.
2) Watch the fill, as long as it fills at a consistent rate, then shuts off (the shutoff usually takes 2-3 seconds), you're good. Where it starts getting questionable is when it fills 7/8 of the tank, but then it starts slowly shutting off, but keeps running for 20-30 seconds at the lower fill rate... slowly shutting off until it's completely off. It's not inherently bad, but obviously will end up running longer.
3) You've probably already checked it, but ensure the fill line is below (1/4" or so) the overflow pipe. Sometimes after the first or second test, the water level rises and ends up overflowing.

Old 10-02-23, 05:45 PM
R
I just tested mine and it took 95 seconds from flush to shutoff, so a tad over 1˝ minutes.
I tested the toilet 3 times. It took between 40 and 50 seconds from flush until it stopped running. I think I'm in good shape on that front.

I tested another toilet in my house, which is a brand new toilet, installed in May 2023, and that toilet took 20-25 seconds from flush until it stopped running.

That said, 40-50 seems pretty normal. It didn't feel especially long or anything like that.

Old 10-02-23, 05:48 PM
R
I'd verify a few things.
1) Ensure the under-toilet shutoff valve is fully open.
2) Watch the fill, as long as it fills at a consistent rate, then shuts off (the shutoff usually takes 2-3 seconds), you're good. Where it starts getting questionable is when it fills 7/8 of the tank, but then it starts slowly shutting off, but keeps running for 20-30 seconds at the lower fill rate... slowly shutting off until it's completely off. It's not inherently bad, but obviously will end up running longer.
3) You've probably already checked it, but ensure the fill line is below (1/4" or so) the overflow pipe. Sometimes after the first or second test, the water level rises and ends up overflowing.
The valve is not fully open. Initially I had it fully open, but it seemed too strong and too much. It's open about halfway and the toilet seems to operate like it did before I replaced the valve. And yes, the fill line is a little below the "water fill here" line.

Everything seems pretty good. The only thing is my wife and 5 year old daughter both commented the toilet is "loud" when it flushes. Not the flush itself, but the fill valve part makes a noise. I think I just have to chalk it up to the fact it's a new part and it makes a different noise from what we're used to with the old part. For contrast, the two other toilets in my house are not as loud.

Old 10-02-23, 08:31 PM
I don't think I've ever had a toilet that refilled in than a minute. I like a gentle refill, not an explosive gusher refilling.

Yours seems like you may have high water pressure, which might be the reason for the loud noise it makes. Maybe your water pressure regulator is jacked up.

Old 10-05-23, 07:36 AM
R
It's funny you say that b/c there was a concern of low water pressure on one side of my house, but things seem ok now. I do have good water pressure in my showers. But even if it's high water pressure, the other two toilets in the house aren't loud.

I wouldn't call my toilet refilling an "explosive gusher refilling." Everything seems normal, just a little noisy. Since I plan to replace the toilet in its entirety in the next year or so, perhaps I will just let it be.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: