Need advice on toilet repair

Old 02-18-24, 12:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on toilet repair

Hello.

I have an old, custom toilet that came with the house. Recently, it started leaking in the bowl. I thought it was the flapper, and changed it a few times because it didn't seem to fit, and kept leaking. It turns out that the overflow pipe is cracked at the bottom. So I have to replace it. I'm assuming that I have to remove the tank from the bowl in order to make that repair. Respecting "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I'm wondering if I should replace the bolts and any other thing while I'm in there?
The o-ring seal, etc., what do you think?

Last edited by bper123; 02-18-24 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-18-24, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,974 Upvotes on 3,567 Posts
I can't help you directly as I don't what you are working on.

I can tell you that the overflow assembly is bolted thru the tank requiring tank removal.
That requires new tank to basin hardware and typically tank gasket too.

If the toilet is older.... it may make sense to replace the fill valve and float too.

Old 02-18-24, 04:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
How many bolts attach the tank to bowl?

With a "custom" toilet take all this with a grain of salt since we have no idea what your custom is but...

You will need to separate the tank from the bowl. Don't be afraid. It's a pretty straightforward repair.

Get new hardware (bolts). Don't go cheap. Get brass or stainless steel and get the type that has two washers and nuts for each bolt. They are better because they allow you to form a waterproof seal with the tank independent of attaching it to the bowl so it's more reliable and forgiving. Also get a new tank to bowl gasket/seal. Your old one has probably gotten hard with age and might not seal if you try to reuse it. All of this may come together as a kit.

You will also need a new overflow and flapper assembly. Since we don't know anything about your "custom" toilet you'll have to find a appropriate one for your toilet. Even if you have a rare oddball type most tanks will accept a modern, standard type.

Old 02-19-24, 09:06 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your replies. I purchased a new flush valve kit. I replaced the flush valve with new flapper, bolts, washers, and gasket. So far, not a single leak.

Much appreciated!

Old 02-19-24, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,974 Upvotes on 3,567 Posts
Good job. Not always an easy job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: