replace shower flange

Old 04-11-24, 01:55 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replace shower flange

I have to replace the shower flange in two showers in my house. I've purchased a 4" square replacement flange for each shower.

What do I need to prep this? Is there a video out there? I'm including 2 pictures of one of the showers.

Thank you
Mike

Old 04-11-24, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,943 Upvotes on 1,745 Posts
If you are talking about replacing the escutcheon plate, you will unscrew the shower arm, put it through the new escutcheon, put pipe dope on the threads, and screw it back in. Then press the new escutcheon back to the wall. Sometimes you want just a dab of clear silicone on the back side to seal it to the shower arm and hold it to the wall.

Old 04-11-24, 07:17 PM
M
Right, I know how to do that.

I suppose I should have been clearer. Do I need to use spackle or a sealant or anything else to close up that space around the pipe before I change the plate? As you can see in one of the photos, there is space around the current plate where moisture can get behind the wall. The plate I got to replace it is large enough to cover this.

No spackle needed?

Old 04-11-24, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
The drop arm (pipe) should be firm coming out of the wall.
You can use spackle but a thin bead of silicone along the top and both sides of the escutcheon plate should be sufficient.

Old 04-11-24, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,943 Upvotes on 1,745 Posts
I think you answered your own question. Its large enough to cover it. So nothing is needed. You likely would not want to use any silicone on the edges for fear you get it on the painted wall where it would show. Silicone is not readily paintable. Which is why I said you would put a little silicone on the arm and push the escutcheon into it. If the arm is solid like it should be, the arm will help hold the escutcheon tight to the wall. All that might be needed is to use some painters tape to temporarily hold it tight to the wall until the silicone behind it sets up on the pipe.

And you would not use "spackle" for a big repair like that anyway.

Old 04-11-24, 07:53 PM
M
Thank you! Appreciate the help.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: