New Kohler toilet: handle mounting hole in tank right at overflow level?

Old 05-27-24, 10:34 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New Kohler toilet: handle mounting hole in tank right at overflow level?

I just got a new Kohler toilet, Wellworth model K-3998-0. I noticed that when the water reaches the overflow level of the flush valve it is right at the level of the handle mounting hole in the tank. Water doesn't actually come out the handle hole when I hold the fill valve float down, but it's so close that if the fill valve failed in a way that let the water flow in any faster I'm sure it would leak out around the handle -- it's so close that it's basically surface tension keeping the water in the tank. The tank is level. I don't see a way to adjust the flush valve to lower the overflow level. This seems like a dumb and dangerous design, unless I'm missing something. Am I missing something?

Old 05-27-24, 10:49 AM
A
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
There has to be a float somehwere in the tank that sets the shut off level in the tank after refill for the next flush. Look for an adjustment screw or dial to adjust how high the water level gets.

One style of toilet tank has the float on a horiozontal rod, and you need to bend the bar slightly to adjust the stopping level. It is better to unscrew the rod completely and bend the rod and then screw things back together so you don't break other plastic parts while trying to bend the rod;.

Old 05-27-24, 12:29 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks, but I'm not talking about adjusting the float. What I'm worried about is what happens when the fill valve fails and won't shut off no matter how high the float gets. I have seen this happen.

I would have thought that a basic principle of toilet design is that the overflow level on the flush valve is safely below the handle hole so that excess water goes down the overflow and into the bowl rather than out the handle hole and onto the floor. This is the case on all the other toilets in my house, but not this new one.

Old 05-27-24, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,105 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
I understand your point. I could not find any mention of adjusting the overflow level.
Nothing in the manual or in the video below.
You may need to contact Kohler support.

Adjust/install flush canister video

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: