Princess Cruise-Cozumel

Old 11-03-04, 06:03 PM
daniel.johnston
Visiting Guest
Question Princess Cruise-Cozumel

My wife and I are going on a cruse from Texas to Cozumel in just a few weeks?
We have never gone on anything like this. We received our package of information and in it is a booklet full of what they call "Adventures Ashore". I had no idea that the cruse was just the tip of the iceberg as far as the cost, now I am looking at a pretty large sum to do anything besides eat sleep and ride a ship out in the middle of the ocean.
My question is, can we do and see with out having to spend another arm and leg?

TIGHT

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 06:29 PM
I went to Cozumel a few years back. Did a couple of the tours and feeding the stingrays. Cost for these was not high. There are lots of shops and restaurants there. Be prepared to "bargain" with the prices. Lots of nice things to buy and if you see something you like....walk around before you buy. Lots of stores selling the same items and you can get a lower price if you look around. I bought a chess set for $25.00 and saw the same one 10 minutes later for $15. Thing I didn't like about the cruise was all the pictures taken and then the price they wanted if you wished to purchase them. Talk about HIGH. Have a great time on your cruise and do what you can afford. Walking there is interesting and spend at your own pace. Good luck.

Old 11-05-04, 03:58 AM
Group Moderator
Are you stopping anywere else in addition to Cozumel?

Just so you know where my jaded view comes from. I have stopped taking "big boat" cruises partially because of the additional fees and partially because with so many passengers they have lost the good "flavor" of cruizing. The idea of paying $4 for a beer is crazy. I don't like having to wait in a line; to get ice cream, to sit for dinner, to go ashore, to see a show.

I took many of the shore excursions on my first few cruises, but the more I traveled the less I stayed with the group. Some of the organized trips are good to get a quick general feel for a place, but a buss load of fat Americans does not bring out the best in people. Locals seem to be more genuine and friendly (real friendly, not fake get money from the tourist friendly) when you get down the back streets or out into the country away from the crouds. I guess it really depends on what you want to do. You can easily get into the main street of Cozumel on your own to go walking around and shopping, but if you want to see some ruins I'd go with the tour group.

Palancar Reef (state park) has some nice diving and snorkeling.

Warning: If you are a diver I would NOT do a drift dive between Cozumel and the mainland, the loose way too many divers.

Search this Thread