Yellowstone

Old 01-16-06, 12:41 PM
Yellowstone

My wife and I are heading for Yellowstone this summer and have a few questions.

We will be staying at two different lodges (3 days in the south and two in the north) for 5 days. Do you suggest taking the bus tours or the self guided tours? We won't be doing any extensive hiking.

How are the food prices within the park? I hope to drive over to Teton one day. Looking at going from Old Faithful area to Jackson and back. Does this sound doable?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by dwcurry; 01-21-06 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 04:24 PM
Would someone please help him....

Old 03-15-06, 04:55 PM
There goes my streak.

Old 03-15-06, 07:34 PM
like the others, i didn't even know that this thread existed, most of us look at the mechanical problems
that people may have (hey thats what we do!). getting back to your questions, take the self guided tour if you are comfortable with your ability to navigate through the park, much more enjoyable because you can stop and go as you please. if you plan on doing any walking, this is a no-brainer, but just in case anyone else looks at this thread, wear the most comfy shoes that you have.
as far as food, my wife and i (she is a chef,retired) like to pack our own stuff on the park, adds to the truly; how can i put this, the greatness, the beauty of the enjoyment of the park to be out there in nature, having even the most simple sandwich. so i can't answer you to the question what are the prices are for food there, we do our own, but it is a tourist trap, so one would think that the prices would be high. as for the travel, take your time, enjoy the sites, yes, anything can be done, don't stress out. the wife and i will pile into the truck on some weekends and just go thataway, no real destination in mind at all, we just wind up somewhere, to us it's more relaxing, and we have found some really cool places that don't show up on the travel magazines. i can't wait till i retire.

barry

ps, i'm sorry for the time to respond to your query, i'll try to make it my habit to check this thread daily good luck, and good travels.

Old 03-16-06, 04:04 PM
Barry,

Thanks for the reply. We will be staying in the south end of the park for 3 days and the north end for 2 days. We plan on going over into Teton for a day. Since we will be in the park the whole time we will be subject to their prices. However, we will take sandwich food in for lunch.

Thanks again.

Don

Old 03-17-06, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
I can't speak to Yellowstone, DW, but I took our daughter to Yosemite last summer and was pleasantly surprised that the food and drink was not terribly overpriced. All of the concessions are run by a contractor [Delaware North Company - aka DNC], the Park Service has no hand in it, although they may dicatate somewhat how much profit can be had (to prevent serious gouging). I took a quick search and it looks like DNC is also concessionaire at Yellowstone. We did a mix of self-guided trail hiking and narrated tram tours which worked out perfect for us.

Post back after your trip and let us know how it turned out.

Old 03-17-06, 05:33 AM
Tow Guy,

Thanks that is encouraging news. I don't mind paying a fair price and realize that the prices will be higher due to additional expenses. I just don't want to pay Disney World prices at a National Park. We are going horseback riding and the prices are very reasonable.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Don

Old 03-17-06, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Think we paid $50 each for the two hour [fairly flat] trail ride at Yosemite; half-day (up and down the steeper stuff) was $100 or so. The stable concession was not the same as the food & lodging (DNC) if I remember right. Considering the expenses involved in transporting and keeping the horses and mules (they haul them out to greener pastures during the winter), I thought the prices were pretty reasonable. We owned horses a while back for over ten years, so I have a fair idea the costs involved.

Old 03-17-06, 10:43 AM
I grew up in Wyoming so we took quite a few trips to Yellowstone. I prefer the self-guided tours just so you can go at your own pace. Some of the sites are really spectacular and you'll want to take a little extra time. Plus there is usually enough information posted around the park that you won't miss the guided tour too much.

I also highly recommend taking a trip south to check out Jenny Lake, the Tetons and Jackson Hole. Jackson Hole is pretty pricey because it's a trendy little ski town, but definitely worth the trip. Usually they have the Alpine Slides running in the summer, which was my absolute favorite thing to do there as a kid.

Anyway, have fun! That's the most important part.

Old 06-27-06, 10:19 AM
Well I'm back from Yellowstone and my wife and I had a great time.

We were in the park for 5 nights, three in the south (Grant Village) and two in the north (Mammonth Springs). On one of the days we went to Jackson and also visited Grand Teton and Jenny Lake - Fantastic views.

Yellowstone is unique. In additon to the great vistas, wildlife, rivers, and lakes that you get at other parks, you get the added attractions of geysers, hot springs and mud pots.

Went horseback riding, a two hour trip was $52 each. We ended up in the saddle for 3 hours. Could not walk when I got off of the horse and was glad that the hotel room had a large tub to set in.

Lunch was around $7.50 per person. Dinners from $7.50 to $25.

Did the bus tour one day ($50 each) along the southern loop. I highly recommend it as the drivers are very informative. The rest of the time we toured on our own.

Five days in the park was just right for us first time visitors. You may want to stay longer if you hike the trails or fish.

DWC

Last edited by dwcurry; 06-28-06 at 02:44 PM.