Alaska Ideas

Old 02-22-07, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Alaska Ideas

Does anyone have ideas for interesting, not casual tourist things to do in the Fairbanks, Delta Junction region of Alaska? I'm not looking for the usual tourist stuff like paying to see the gold dredge. I want the good stuff like:

Follow the gravel road behind this restaurant up the hill and on the right is a haunted gold mine with lots of cool old equipment.

There is a cool cliff with a great view and you can pee on the pipeline.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-07, 06:41 AM
I went to Fairbanks once and there wasn't a whole lot to do. The highlights of my stay in the area were midnight sun volleyball at some bar (I think in Fox?), hitchhiking to some hot springs, and listening to an incredible band at some hole in the wall jazz club. The best highlight - the B&B/hostel where I stayed - the owner offered all us hostellers some fresh king salmon, wrapped in foil and thrown on the grill. I think there were seven humans and one hungry malamute and we simply could not finish that fish it was so rich! Never had fish so good, and may never again.

I loved the train ride between Anchorage and Fairbanks with a stop in Denali National Park.

Alaska is big. Really really really big. It takes a long time to get from point A to point B. The reason I say this is be aware that cool stuff on a map might be quite a drive, so be prepared... and beware of mosquitos and bears ;-)

Old 03-11-07, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
I found a great book, "The Milepost". It's an extremely detailed guidebood to the roads of Alaska. It tells you: how to find every good view, fishing stream, abandoned gold dredge, where to see animals, and the last place to buy gas... The Milepost is full of advertisements so it feels a bit like a colorized phone book & road map & guide book rolled into one. It's fun to read the advertisements. You can get a feel for the difference between the mainland US and the backwoods of Alaska, like the hotel that describes all their delux rooms and their one suite where you can have a privat bathroom with a shower, sink & toilet. When was the last time in the US you have seen a hotel advertise that their bathrooms have toilets?

Old 03-18-07, 07:40 PM
When I went to Alaska for a period of 8 months in my motorhome "Milposts" was invaluable. I had purchased on the year before and my wife and I read it cover to cover many times over. It was very accurate for our drive on the beginning of the Alcan highway and for getting around Alaska when we got there.
Alaska is soooo vast and Beautiful no matter which part you go to I don't think you can see it all.
Fairbanks, Anchorage etc are major metropolis by Alaskan standard that you would not want to spend a lot of time there anyway.

...and you can always find that road just out of town with a view.....

Mark_ms