Florida Turnpike

Old 01-19-08, 06:11 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Florida Turnpike

Is the Florida Turnpike a better choice than I-95 when comparing general road condition and congestion?

I understand there will tolls to pay on the turnpike.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 01-19-08, 11:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ken, if you are planning on I75, then the turnpike, be prepared for eternal road construction. I like I95 much better, as the construction is minimal and the surface is better. Jacksonville will be your only nemesis. Try to get through it at a non-rush hour time so you don't have to take the bypass, as it goes forever. Other than that it is a zip. Where are you going to wind up?

Old 01-19-08, 11:54 AM
W
Travel Plans

Thanks , Larry.
I am planning to go I-26 and I-95 into Florida. Then US 301 to Ocala and then down the Florida Turnpike to Fort Pierce. After Fort Pierce, then on to West Palm Beach. This is my way of not going through Jacksonville. I have not been able to find much info about the turnpike except their website. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-19-08, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Jax isn't so bad, just have to be careful what time you go through. Once you get to Ocala you could also take I75 to Ft Myer's and take SR80 (changes names enroute) straight across to WPB. That way you go through my neighborhood and can get a discount if you break down and need a tow.

Watch the backwater towns along US301, lots of speed traps (Waldo used to be the speed trap capitol, but they've toned it down a bit).

Old 01-19-08, 05:10 PM
TG, Ken is coming from Eastern Tennessee, so would crisscrossing Fla like that be better? Seems I95 straight down the coast to WPB would be shorter. You da Fla guy, so you know best. I'm like you, though, avoid 301, or slow down.

Old 01-20-08, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
I confess I have not driven Jax-Miami down I-95 in a LOOOOONG time so I can't say for sure how bad it is. Actually I was offering my route as an alternative to the turnpike, i.e. once he got to Ocala instead of turnpike he could go I75 to Ft. Myers to WPB. About two hours and 100 miles further, but we like to keep visitors around as long as possible and make sure they see as much of the state as possible [I'll refrain from inserting the expected Fla-Ga humor here ].

Could always go US1 and A1A, of course, but going to need a LOT more time. If you have some flexibility on time, Wire-guy, you might consider driving a few sections of that route off the interstate, though. I can personally vouch for a cruise through St. Augustine - daughter attending Flagler College there (and dorming in the historic fomer Henry M. Flagler Ponce de Leon hotel).

If the trip is anytime between now and Easter, be prepared for plenty of traffic and crowds; 'tis the height of the snowbird season.

Old 01-20-08, 11:24 AM
Yeah, our seasons are just the opposite. In summer, our population doubles from 7500 to 15000, with mostly Florida tags, and then we have October when the leaf lizards return for one last fling.

Old 02-09-08, 05:03 AM
W
Southbound Route

Made the trip and now back home. Traveled south on I-95 through Jacksonville on a Sunday morning with no problems. My wife drove and I navigated. This works best for us. Made return trip north on a Monday on I-295 around Jacksonville. This was busy but no problems.

Traveled to Fort Pierce, West Palm Beach for mission construction work, Zolfo Springs, Lakeland, and Cape Canaveral.

Thanks to all who gave advice. The GPS tried to put us on the Turnpike, but we stayed on the interstate. It was a great trip.

Old 02-10-08, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I have to put our GPS on "economical" in order to avoid the toll roads and really make it the "quickest". Let it do "course corrections" for about 5 miles and it will give up and let you go on your way. Machinery!! Glad your trip was a success. I know the residents appreciated your help. I have lost my GPS to my wife. I use it when people give me addresses to do estimates. Better than "take a left at the third cow, then a right at the 15th fence post". So I had to order me another one (better, too). I'll lose it once she sees it, and I'll get my old one back.

Old 02-10-08, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

25 years there in West Palm Beach. To go north or south best to take the Turnpike as far as you can. 95 now up to 14 lanes wide in West palm and 16 wide near Miami

Old 02-10-08, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Hope you waved when you were that close; Zolfo is only about 50 miles up the road.

Old 02-12-08, 10:39 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jax traffic

I drive tractor trailers through jax almost month. by all means avoid rush hour, other than that have always zipped right through Jax.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: