viginia beach

Old 02-01-08, 06:40 PM
wwc
viginia beach

I have never been to the area, can anyone give me some must see or do things there and tips for the best beach part and motels etc.. for a couple without kids.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-08, 07:38 PM
viginia beach

Visited the area several times and then lived there for 4 years.

It is a good family resort area, especially for the east coast. The beach is very wide and long. - It is one of the best on the coast for a major area. - Not as tacky as some a little further north.

The absolute best time is September when the big crowds are gone, the weather is good and it is not too busy and probably cheaper.

All of the beach front hotels are adequate and within several blocks of the beach. Prices can vary widely depending on what you want. If you just want the beach, there are many good ones along Atlantic Avenue, which is the closest street to the beach and the inevitable tee-shirt shops.

There are many other things to do in the area. There is the Cheasapeake Bay for fishing, swimming, eating and touring.

Within an hour to the west there is Colonial Williamsburg, musment parks and other sites.

Do not miss going to the Outer Banks of North Carolina (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.) since it is a reasonable short (1-2 hours) drive going south out of Cheaspeake (another major area next to Virginia Beach - you do not know there is a line between them). The Outer Banks have a much more exciting beach and not all the built up area near V.B.

If you are in V.B., do not miss taling the tour through the Norfolk Naval Base that is given by good, knowledgeable guides. You see everything and learn a lot of what goes on. - a good 3 hours spent.

Old 02-01-08, 08:06 PM
wwc
sounds good thanks.

what do you know about re-enactments at civil war battle fields there.
I tried finding dates online for them but didn't have much luck. i did send off for brochures of virginia.

how is parking for the beaches, do you have to pay or is there public free parking?

we are not into huge crowds but we don't want to be alone completely either, any part of the beach we should avoid.
I would like to make reservations when we get closer and would have no idea which ones are located best.

Old 02-01-08, 08:39 PM
viginia beach

I am not aware of any colonial battlefields nearby like there are further inland. Once you go toward Williamsburg, you will find more history. If you look at a map, in the colonial period, you had to want to go to VB since it was on the coast with no north or south roads. Bridges and tunnels have changed that. Colonial Williamsburg and the area have some great things to see. VB was not particularly important during the Civil, but there is some good history near Williamsburg and associated with the Monitor and Merrimack "submarine" battles in the James River and associated bays. off the Chesapeake.

I think Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia, but it does not have a real downtown except for the strip along the beach. It grew from the beach toward Norfolk in recent years and took over the entire county. Virginia is one of the very few, if not the only area, where a "city" can take over a county and a city is not in a county, but is a separate entity.

Getting around is not a traffic problem, but an access problem since there are not too many main routes except the freeways, roads along the water and a few main city routes. - This is because there are many waterways that cut everything up.

VB hotels are mainly within a block or two of the ocean, so if you stay there, parking is included or easily available. Otherwise, parking is available. Once you get more than a few blocks from the coast, the area is not oriented toward tourists.

Any area of the beach is good. As you you go north of the intersection of the E-W expressway to the beach, the beach becomes less crowded. Going south, you can't go to far south without getting into more residential areas until you run into the water gap between Virginia and North Carolina. There is a nice ride north from the beach area to and along the Chesapeake Bay all the way to the tunnel to Hampton/Newport News and untimately to Williamsburg.

Old 02-01-08, 10:08 PM
wwc
thanks for the help.

I was asking about civil war battle fields with interactive stuff or a living history type deal more towards richmond or somewhere near vb.

Old 02-02-08, 05:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Definitely check into Colonial Williamsburg, only a short trip up I-64. Will be worth the trip. Dick, what ever possessed you to trade the salt-in-your-face warm ocean currents for the -27 degree wx of Minnesota??

Old 02-02-08, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Vb

OK,
Here you go, from someone who lived in the area for 20 yrs.
This may be more or less than you need, so reply/private me if you have specifics

For tourists, VB (don't ever call it that to a local, lol) is pretty nice. Plenty of beach, plenty to do. Check your schedule, you do not want to go when they are having any Rock/Jazz Fest's or East Coast Surfing championships. (those are normally on weekends)

Don't plan on driving on the freeways or tunnels btwn 6-8 AM or 3-5 PM. You have more military there than any other location in the country, and the tunnel traffic can back up 5-10 miles on clear sunny days.

You may want to check out the Va Maritime Museum, just south of the beach.

Downtown Norfolk has gotten much nicer from its bad(?) old days of tattoo parlors and stripclubs. Several museums, the Cousteu Society, Old battleship (can't remember which one), PETA (lol), all on the riverfront w/in walking distance.
Best steamed shrimp you will ever eat is at a small country and western bar, the LIDO INN, off Little Creek Rd. Sunday special is 1 1/2 lb shrimp and greek salad. Ususally runs about $20? Prices always go up tho ya know.

Outer Banks is much more a rugged, open ocean type beach. As CM said, not as many hotels, but, lord, it's timeshares and condo's for miles. Sam and Omies (if still open) had great food.

North to Newport News (NN)/Hampton....where I lived most of the time.

Downtown Hampton- Va Air and Space museum.
Go 5 mi N on 60 (Warwick Blvd), then its the War Museum, think it covers them all (another place I never got to)

NN- Mariners Museum- another 5 miles north on Warwick Blvd, this is where they are doing the work on the recovered parts from the Merrimac(?) and as the a name implies, covers the history of the local maritime industry. Big fancy place, all the hoighty toighty types are sponsers and members, but might be worth checking out.

I think what you may be looking for is at the Yorktown battlefields. They do have re-enactments, but I'm not sure what times of year. Its on the York River, about 30-45 min from VB on Rt 60, N-NE. Also see the private Watermens Museum, in a bldg right on the river. Beautiful drive from there, to Colonial Williamsburg, on the Colonial Parkway, esp during the spring or fall.

http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp/battles/va009.htm

Colonial Williamsburg has some very old-timey commercial areas, and then it has the tours. Some of the tours can be sorta pricey, but you can't really get the whole experience, unless you go inside the places like the Governors Mansion.
You can walk around and see quite a bit, but everyone has told me, the tours are worth it.

Huge outlet mall's north, largest being The Pottery.

You have to eat at Pierces Pitt BBQ, if you like that kind of food. Its a little hard to get to, but soooo worth the drive if yer already in the Williamsburg area. And yes, get the sandwich with coleslaw on top. It's the "correct" way to eat it...lol. My favorite was the "baby doc"- no cheese pls- and the cornbread fritters.

Pretty sure almost all these places have websites. And all the cities have tourism info on the city websites as well.

EDIT-As was stated before, most of the Civil war stuff was North and West. Appomattox, Manassas, Rapahannock, etc

Hope this helps

Last edited by Gunguy45; 02-02-08 at 06:46 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-02-08, 07:01 AM
Yorktown is an easy drive from VB. Primarily a Revolutionary war site, it was also a CW battlefield. Years ago I accidentally found the grave of an CW ancestor there.

Colonial Williamsburg is a good side trip. There's also a couple of great golf courses nearby and a Busch Gardens amusement park.

Old 02-02-08, 08:10 AM
viginia beach

Chandler -

Went to MN because of quality of life and kids.

I never minded the cold when I first lived there. I just do not like the Chicago style cold. This year we even got enough snow to cover the grass (4" on the ground now), but only 1" in the last month. At least we can ice fish now and snowmobile up north.

Dick

Old 02-02-08, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My backyard......walking distance....

Yorktown Battlefields, where the British surrendered, are still pretty much intact, free to visit and there are plackards located all around letting you know the significance of the spot you are looking at.

Also have the Victory Museum which is full of Revolutionary War Items.

Yorktown waterfront has a sandy beach, tours, shopping, dining, live music, boat charters, etc. all done in a NON Tourist like way (no spring breakers in otherwords). Parking is free btw.

http://www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism/index.html

Agree with the previous posts, avoid travel around rush hour unless you enjoy sitting in a rolling parking lot. While here, just ask the locals, they will help guide you through the traffic snargles.

In addition to Colonial Williamsburg, there is also the Jamestown Settlement, which is one of the oldest colonies in the states. You know, John Smith, Pokahontis and all.
I would also recommend a pleasant trip can be taken down the Colonial Parkway. A two lane road that winds through the woods along the shoreline of the York River from Williamsburg to Yorktown. No commercial vehicles are allowed - just a soothing throw back to a simpler time.

I am also pretty sure, if you want Civil War type stuff, you would have to get closer to Washington DC to find. It is probably 3.5 hours north from the Virginia Beach Ocean Front (all highway driving).

Gunguy45 - the battleship in Norfolk is the USS Wisconson
Pierces Pitt BBQ

Old 02-02-08, 12:46 PM
wwc
great reviews

Thanks to you all, great job.
I'm really looking forward to going now, that helps me alot.

Gunguy45, what do you mean for the tourists to not say to locals , the abreviation VB or actually call it virginia beach ?

I am interested in also checking out some of these battles but probably not all of them, Tidewater battles and Cold Harbor, Chancellorsville, Malvern Hill, Spotsylvania, Brandy Station on to Richmond, are those much of a drive from VB.

The parkway sounds like a really nice trip to take, on the list !
Anyone know more about the tours in williamsburg, It sounds like a to do thing but we don't need a long fancy tour, which ones do you recomend?

Old 02-03-08, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
hey WWC, looks like yer getting a ton of info.

Regarding the VB to locals...i was mostly just joking...it's like no one from SF calls it San Fran. If you live across the Bay, you say " Going to the City".

When yer in Norfolk (btw...closer to being pronounced "Naw-Fawk"), and yer going to Va Bch, and you say " going to the Beach tonite", no one expects you to actually be putting on a suit and layin in the sand in the dark.

All the local comedians, when they make fun of the military types, college kids and tourists. always say(in a dorky New Yawk, or mid-west accent) "Hey, lets go to VB and get wasted"

In the Tidewater area, unless you live there and have a bunch of kids...everyone knows what you mean, when you say "the Beach". You just have to say beach with a capitol B. (Everyone knows how to do that right? lol)

Yer on a history tour it sounds like, can't be in a better place.

Old 02-05-08, 01:53 PM
If going to Williamsburg, a trip to nearby Jamestown where the settlers landed before moving to Williamsburg is informative. In Jamestown you can walk about what's left of the ruins and imagine how the settlers lived.

Civil War buffs love the drive north on I-85 in the Shenandoah Valley. Lots of Civil War history along the way. There's a great museum at New Market. There's another great museum at Washington & Lee University in Lexington.

If looking for Civil War history in Tidewater, go to Newport News. http://www.newport-news.org/civilwar/index.htm

Old 02-25-08, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
virginia beach

there are tons of things you can do in virginia, you can go whale watching which would be fun for your kids. they have shows from january 3 to march 16, 2008. but if you are in to festivities, you can go to virginia on april 18 to may 26 to be able to watch virginia art festivals.

Old 03-10-10, 10:40 PM
wwc
revive old thread

well that trip got cancelled but still wanting to go this year now.

is there any small condo's or motels on the actual beach front to stay at that are a resonable price.

Old 03-11-10, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
"Beachfront" and "reasonable price" don't usually go together, but depending on the season and days of the week you may b e able to find something that won't break you.

I did a quick Google of timeshare rentals for VA Beach and found some rangine from $500-1200/week. Many of them are one bedroom, but say they will sleep from 4-6. You would lose the amenities of a full-service hotel, but maybe not pay quite as much [just don't let them try to sell you a timeshare ].

Old 03-11-10, 05:18 PM
wwc -
Both times I have stayed in VB I stayed at the holiday inn sunspree. Not sure what your budget is but it is only 100 a night for a pretty good hotel. It is right on the beach with 2 indoor & 2 outdoor pools.

Old 03-11-10, 10:11 PM
wwc
that sounds great, right in my price range.
I had heard stories from other people saying that I could get a condo for that same price, hard to belive i think.

Old 03-12-10, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
It all depends on the season, location and how the economy is doing. Don't expect to pay $100 a night during the July 4th holiday but if you go outside the normal Memorial-Labor Day season things are much cheaper and if you go at the end of the season the water is still warm.