Venice Hotel Recommendation

Old 04-10-11, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Venice Hotel Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Venice? I want something reasonably close to Piazzale Roma so we can walk to the hotel with our luggage. I would like something for less than 250 a night with an in room safe if possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-11, 02:38 PM
What time of the year? Obviously, the prices vary and supply of rooms is low.

The Mercure is good, but is out of the price range since they seem to be booked in every country they are in because of the standards they maintain.

How are you traveling in Italy? If you are going by car, you might want to consider staying on the mainland and commuting in. - Much cheaper and the commute can be interesting. I took the marine bus/taxi (Vaporato sp?) and it was fun, they ran frequently and good hours of service.

As far as the luggage, Venice is not that big and you can always find someone to lug it for you. I usually travel with a computer bag and a carry-on for up to 3 weeks, so I usually don't let the luggage hinder my plans.

Most of the safes are small and OK for papers, but not for something bulky. The security is questionable and a good hotel safe would be more secure if you go through the front desk.

The islands north(?) are great places to go since they are not usually as "touristy" and have different "feel".

Dick

Old 04-10-11, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the reply. We will be on a cruise in late summer that disembarks in Venice and will be staying on the island a few days before heading home. I am still in a bit of shock as to hotel prices. I knew Venice would be expensive but I'm surprised at what $300 a night does not get you, especially during the high season. In the working world we live in the middle of nowhere so when traveling staying in a somewhat prime location is important. We try to avoid the usual tourist crowd and find something just off to the side and are looking at smaller hotels and B&B's.

I was wanting the safe for my camera gear and smaller in-room safes are basically useless. I probably will not be needing longer lenses in Venice so it would be no inconvenience to leave them in the hotel safe so maybe an in-room safe is not a big deal.

Old 04-10-11, 06:39 PM
All of Europe is pricey since the decline of the US$ over the last few years. Venice is a tourist town, so that complicates things. Even the Mercure Hotel (similar to HI) is probably over $400 or more.

You will need a wide angle lens, especially to gather in the square (St. Marks?) or even the streets that are very, very narrow. Be prepared for lots of pigeons and glass blowing shops. The near-by northern islands can be gotten to easily on a day trip.

Have fun.

Dick