cruise month weather ?

Old 05-14-13, 08:54 PM
wwc
cruise month weather ?

How is the weather for a Eastern Caribbean cruise for the months of april or may , we went in the middle of march one year and we had hurricane weather the whole week, ruined our time.

I want to try one more time and do not want a repeat.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-13, 04:12 AM
Group Moderator
I can't address the Eastern Caribbean specifically, but down here in South Florida, April/May is "dry season"; few clouds and little rainfall. Hurricane season starts officially on June 1st. To have hurricane-like weather in April/May in the Caribbean I would have thought somewhat unusual.

Old 05-15-13, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
In March I am certain you did not have true hurricane weather but generally they tend to get more weather and wind during the winter months. Showers and thunderstorms can occur but are generally short lived and certainly nothing I would let alter my vacation plans. If you are talking the extreme eastern end down near S. America like the ABC's, Grenada, Barbados then hurricanes are not much a concern at any time. Generally if I had to pick a bad season in the Caribbean it would be the summer when it's hotter with less wind.

Old 05-15-13, 07:17 AM
wwc
thanks for the replys, that helps to know atleast that south florida is dry those months.

We had gail winds and 10 foot waves the whole time, the upper decks were closed and also the pools, the ship was rocking so bad the water was splashing over the sides of the pool.
no one could walk hardly upright down the halls and all the shows were canceled until the last day when we docked at Nassau because we couldn't dock at any of the other ports and we had to just keep sailing.

I am thinking of the Grandturk, st. Thomas areas.

Old 05-15-13, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
You are right it does take the fun out of it when they drain the pools and can't set the tables for dinner.

---

I was on one cruise in October and we were in the Atlantic heading south to the Eastern Caribbean. We had the joy of 10 meter seas and most of the passengers & crew were sick. I went up to the lounge at the top, forward of the ship where it was really moving and the bartender was crawling on the floor cleaning up broken glasses. After reading about 15 minutes the elevator door opened and out came a very elderly couple who walked in a straight line as the deck heaved and rolled beneath them. He got his wife seated next to me and went over to the bar and got a round of drinks. Talking with them he was in the Merchant Marine during WWII. Torpedoed, sunk & rescued twice and went on to become a ships captain where his wife lived aboard with him for decades. Amazing! 80+ years old and they were walking around like on dry land and drinking highballs while most of the ship could not get out of bed.

Old 05-15-13, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
After 24 yrs in the Navy, with about 13 of them on ships...I've never been a fan of cruises. I didn't mind a day cruise from Miami to Freeport and back a few days later (though the de-boarding was a pita) but any longer is just too much for me. Went on a 5 day music cruise with wife and step-son once (because it was almost free) and by day two I was bored beyond belief. I basically hung out at the pool bar, movie theater, and slept. I much preferred flying to a location and being able to enjoy things at my pace.

Now I hate flying almost as much. Just too much hassle with bags and fees and such. Anymore, if I can't get there in a 1/2 day drive...I don't really feel like going. I traveled and saw so much on Uncle Sams dime....very little can compare.

Btw...part of the "staggering like a drunken sailor" saying came from them getting off ships and walking down the dock/pier back in the old days. If it was rough just before we pulled back in to port..I'd find myself weaving back and forth as I tried to get to dry land. 16 ft draft, round bottom ships tend to roll a bit.

Oh...back on subject...the cruises I went on (and wife went on several more) were always in May and the weather was fine for all of them.

Old 05-15-13, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
I know that "walking like a drunken sailor" it caught me by surprise at first. I had spent some time on a round bilged ship and just got accustomed to it's slow, gentle rolling motion and no longer thought of it. Got ashore and I really did not know what was wrong with me. I thought I might have an ear infection or something messing up my balance. Of course it did not help that the older guys were playing with the new kid. "Oh, sounds serious... maybe you need to see a doctor and have that checked out..."

Old 05-15-13, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
I went on a cruise once.... It was very nice and fun. We had many lifeboat drills which was a pain and took away from some of our fun.... The crew was always running around though ..

Oh wait... here is some home video that was taken....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=deX7R9RbmX0

Old 05-15-13, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Can we say wallowing in the trough???

Old 05-15-13, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
LOL.... Yeah I did go to bermuda though. Post #8 was just a little fun. Last cruise too. Stabilizer broke with 12 ft swells coming back home. That vid I posted is what it felt like. Never again. I have no business being on a ship or a plane... If I cant drive then I aint going...

We have everything we need to see right here in the good old U.S.A...

Old 05-15-13, 06:38 PM
wwc
I agree there is alot of stuff I want to see and do right here in the USA but I always wanted to see what a good cruise was about and see some tropical beaches and palm trees just once.

thanks for the reply's, I was in the army so I stayed on the ground most of the time.

Search this Thread