need advice for trip to gettysburg pa

Old 08-19-13, 02:04 PM
wwc
need advice for trip to gettysburg pa

We are planning a trip the second week of sept. to Gettysburg and I need motel ,restaurant, and sites and things not to miss besides the battlefield of course.

We would like to take a historical walking tour not so much a "actual" ghost tour but more to learn about life back then.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
I would do a Google search for the Pennsylvania tourist site - they should have everything you need there.

Old 09-01-13, 12:48 PM
Try TripAdvisor.. good info w/reviews..!!

Old 09-01-13, 02:20 PM
wwc
thanks that helped.
I was hoping to find someone who had been there before or a local person to give me some first hand advice.
I made reservations for the travel lodge.

Old 09-01-13, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The advice to check out Trip Advisers web site is the best idea.
I use it all the time when traveling.
Saved me from staying at some hell hole hotels more then once.
It also is great for checking out restaurants and local attractions.

Old 09-01-13, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Drive past there every year or so on a trip to see family up north. It is in a fairly secluded part of the state with lots of farmland around the highway as I drive by. I stayed in town once, but it was a fly by overnight on a long trip (arrived 11pm departed 8 am) and didn't see much in the dark. Washington DC is a couple of hours south for some additional history. Wish I could be of some more assistance.

I live a mile from the Yorktown Battlefields where Cornwallis surrendered to George Washington to end the Revolutionary War. Drive by the battlefields on a regular basis and it does cause one to stop and ponder what it was like back then. I catch and release squirrels at this site (no significance other that personal satisfaction on my trapping skills). I also taught my daughter to drive by using the battlefield tour roads as a start to being behind the wheel (its only 15 mph) only had to dodge a couple of joggers and some trees that were close to the road. Nothing more intimidating to a father than a 5'3" - 15 yr old girl behind the wheel of a Chevy Suburban 4WD learning to drive . Told her if she could master this SUV, any other car would be a piece of cake.

Anyway, enjoy the trip, it will be a solemn moment or two and plenty of time for cause and reflection on this country's history.