Big Trip Ideas?

Old 02-08-18, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Big Trip Ideas?

I turn 50 soon and am trying to think of a good vacation to celebrate and I need ideas. Has anyone been somewhere interesting, dreamed of a far away land or seen a TV show of someplace unusual that would be worth a trip? I have traveled a fair bit so I'm looking deeper than most might. It could be anyplace on the planet though I'm looking to be gone less than two weeks which almost rules out Antarctica and other difficult places to reach.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-18, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
I always thought the Galapagos Island would be a trip of a lifetime.

Old 02-08-18, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Ireland, Iceland, New Zealand would probably be my top 3 places I would travel if I could. A cruise on the Danube would be awesome too.

Old 02-08-18, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Don't know you well enough but I'm thinking about things like a trip to a bunch of distilleries in Scotland if you're a scotch drinker or to Germany and Italy and such and tour the plants of your favorite sports car makers or something similar based on your likes.

Old 02-08-18, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Skiing in the Swiss alps would probably make my list too. Yeah you should tell us what your likes and dislikes are. I like mountains and scenery, driving in scenic places, ocean cliffs, cute towns, and old historic stuff, architecture, etc. I DETEST touristy places and big crowds of people. But unless we know what you're after we are shooting in the dark. Is there a wife going along?

Old 02-08-18, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
There's not too may places I haven't been...but somehow I've always missed New Zealand. And aren't you also a hunter PD? I think it can be done down there, or so I've read. I'd also go to Greece.

Places I've really enjoyed are the Marianas (Tinian and Saipan), the coast of Italy between around Terracina down to Formia, and Bornholm Island, Denmark.

Of course, I've never really been anywhere as a tourist and didn't live like one when I was there. It was also mostly 20-25 yrs ago....but I mean, what could have changed in that time? Right?

Old 02-08-18, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
I would've suggested Germany and Italy too, but it sounded like he wanted to go somewhere a bit more exotic!
I'm actually from Germany and have visited Italy! But I wouldn't go to one of the big cities. Too much like here nowadays. I'd go to where the villages and castles are.

Old 02-08-18, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not necessarily recommending places as much as the destinations within the place, like Germany was specifically mentioned for the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen.

Old 02-08-18, 11:30 AM
Like Gunguy I've been to a lot of places - it was all part of the Navy adventure. Post military I continued to travel.

Norway is at the top of my return list. I spent a couple of weeks there about 20 years ago and it's still one of my favorite vacations. I had been there a couple of times while in the Navy, but it was my first visit for pleasure. We spent a couple of days in Oslo and then headed north. The fjords around Tromso are really impressive. So is the salmon fishing. Go in August and you get 24 hr daylight. There's nothing like stumbling out of pub at 2AM to be greeted by bright sunlight. Plus you get to cross the arctic circle.

Not intended to be political, but I have also visited a couple of the countries (Haiti and El Salvadore) described as sh*t holes by Trump. It's an apt description.

Old 02-08-18, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would agree on going to New Zealand. Also Europe to see the architecture.
Other places I would like to visit is Peru and Cambodia.

I would like to see Lake Titicaca and Machu Picchu. I won't get into Cambodia but it is fascinating.

Old 02-08-18, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Like cw and gundude, most of my world travels were for "business". That being said, my favorites were Perth, Western Australia; Northern Italy, in particular Trieste; Guam; and Wake Island (restricted access, so not an option).

My older brother and his wife did Iceland couple of years ago and rave about it; my only stops there were overnighters going to and coming from Bodo, Norway (Not on top of my list, but still very nice.).

Old 02-08-18, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Many of you are have some good ideas and fortunately I've done many. Exotic isn't a requirement but I just didn't want people to go down the track of Paris, Venice...

I'm hampered by my hatred of long flights in coach which has only gotten worse as I've gotten older. My wife can sleep anywhere but I just cannot sleep sitting up in a coach seat. The past few years we've gone to Asia but my wife is fed up with the price of business class and is really trying to clamp down on riding up front.

If the budget negotiations lean one way I'd like Siem Reap/Angkor Wat with a cruise down the Mekong. When she's being tough on airline cost I lean more toward something in Europe and I threaten her with a week in Bamberg, Germany. I like river cruises but we have a hard time with the price since we don't do many of their included tours anymore and tend to go off on our own. I would like to go down the Rhine george and see the castles though.

I am also Considering Peru. I've long wanted to ride the fancy Hiram Bingham train to Machu Picchu. I want to go climbing and running around exploring but my wife just can't keep up especially at higher altitudes.

Wifey has mentioned several times that she wants to go to the Galapagos for her 50th so I'm leaving that trip for her.

Old 02-08-18, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
New Zealand would be my first suggestion. Another one I read about in gun/hunting mags is Argentina. Both not a short flight.

Another suggestion is Canada, namely Banff, Alberta.

I know you are a gun guy, like me, if I had a week available I would think about taking some gun training at Gunsite Academy in AZ. They have a nice looking 5 day 3 gun course.

Old 02-08-18, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Wherever you go..... be sure to fly Delta.

Old 02-08-18, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
some gun training at Gunsite Academy in AZ
Hey, that's only about 2 hrs from me.

Hmmm, that spurred a thought also. What about a RT 66 tour, end to end?

Old 02-09-18, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, Delta is our most frequent ride partially because of my wife's work she has good frequent flier status with them. I do not fly any African airlines and avoid most Asian airlines especially Malaysian and Korean carriers. African airlines have a long list of problems and many of the Asian cultures clash with modern safety protocols.

As for Banff, Alberta... we were just up there for the winter Ice Magic Fesival and saw the ice carving at Lake Louise and the snow carving in Banff. I avoid the area in the summer with the hoards of tourists but in winter it's absolutely magical. This year they are having record snowfall and the skiing is incredible. In the past week they have gotten 52" of snow and have gotten over 200" so far for the season. Lake Louise and the chateau in winter is one of my top 10 favorite places.