Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Travel and Adventures
Reload this Page >

Advice - Raleigh to Denver and Back - Roadtrip

Old 10-03-18, 05:10 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about renting an RV with another couple, road-tripping to the Denver area from Raleigh. One way through KY and back on a more southerly route (or vice versa). Would love to see some distilleries, wineries, etc.
The big question I have is what would be the optimal time of year for both weather considerations as well as ease of driving and other related issues?
Thanks
Bill

Old 10-04-18, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I'm a shoulder or off season sort of person. I have lots of Goretex and warm clothing so cooler weather doesn't bother me and I'd much rather see places when they are less crowded. I'd pick now through December. The kids are in school so the major tourist season is over. Depending on your timing you might even catch fall leaves color. I would avoid a trip like that in January through maybe March to avoid severe winter weather. Early spring would also be a good choice.

I would avoid July & August because of the heat and risk of being caught out in the open in a severe thunderstorm or tornado. Then there are the bigger crowds at tourist spots as many people take their vacations with the kids during summer.

If you travel when there will be freezing temperatures make sure you know how to operate and take care of the RV. Their water and holding tanks and water pipes are under the floor and prone to freezing.

Old 10-04-18, 10:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
It depends on what you want. As an example, unlike Dane, I hate winter so the last thing I'm going to do is take a trip to somewhere that might have snow on the ground. On the other hand, there's no such thing as too hot for me so July and August are when I take a lot of my trips. If there's an actual season where you're going, going a week or two before it starts or after it ends can result in nice weather but severely diminished crowds and prices.

Old 10-08-18, 10:34 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you
You both brought up good information and offered some things I hadn’t thought of. I appreciate the feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: