Picking a fabric?

Old 06-06-04, 12:14 AM
Blackrose
Visiting Guest
Question Picking a fabric?

I am going to reupholster a kidney shaped loveseat and am wondering what would be the best fabric to do this with. I do have some fabric but I'm not sure if it will be strong enough. Could someone please help me with this delema

Old 06-08-04, 10:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i'm not sure i understand what you're asking. any fabric that's called "upholstery fabric" will be suitable, however there are lighter & heavier fabrics. cotton chintz or silk would be on the lighter end, and something like a tapestry would be considered heavy. for a piece that's going to get heavy use, stick with heavy (thick) fabrics that are tightly woven, without a lot of long strings in the weave than can get easily pulled. stay away from the shiny chintzes, as they'll get dull soon with a lot of wear. solid colors will show every little dirt spot, so you'd want a pattern, either multi-colored or at least a textural pattern, if a solid color is wanted. on a curved piece like yours, i'd avoid stripes or plaids. stick with prints & florals or paisleys - anything random & swirly and non-geometric (except maybe a small check - that'd be ok).

hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: