Need Help Repairing Trim on Sofa

Old 11-26-04, 05:55 PM
Z
ZoeGirl
Visiting Guest
Need Help Repairing Trim on Sofa

My sofa has a trim that appears to have been attached to the sofa with glue and staples. My dog has pulled part of it loose from the sofa. The trim consists of two covered strips of piping (I don't know the correct terminology) with a seam between the two strips. The trim covers the seam between the skirt and the body of the sofa. I have not been able to find anyone locally to repair it and would like to try to do it myself. Does anyone have any advice? What type of glue or adhesive would you use? And what type of stapler? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 08:42 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the staple is about 3/4" wide and looks pretty much the same as what you would use to staple papers, a general purpose Arrow stapler for stapling insulation and such might do. If the staples are narrower than that, it may be that they are of the sort that would be driven by an air-driven stapler.

There is an adhesive for cloth that is referred to as spray adhesive. Michael's and other such hobby stores have it. Otherwise, Elmer's white glue will glue cloth together. Apply the glue and clamp it in position until it drieds - about 30 minutes should do.

Others may have other ideas.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-05, 08:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The trim is called double piping I bet your trim is covering up the staples used to attach the skirt. There are 2 ways to attach a skirt, either by sewing it on or stapling it on with a strip of cardboard to keep the seam straight. Since you have double piping, I bet your skirt is attached by staples because if it were sewn on it would only be a single piping. Double piping is easy to attach, it is usually attached by a thin strip of hot glue, with very narrow staples at the corners, but you can go without the staples just use a screwdriver to put pressure at the center of the seam and use the handle of the screwdriver to pressure the double piping in and work fast before the hot glue sets. Important, take care not to drip glue on fabric that will be seen. If the skirt is falling off, as was mentioned in the other post, use a 3/4 inch wide staple to re-attach the skirt and put the staples end to end so it looks like a straight line so it will be easier to cover the staples with the double piping, then just hot glue on the double piping. If you need more piping, try to find material at the bottom of the couch and cut strips about 2 1/2 wide, and any length because the pieces can be sewn together and when the piping is made you will barely see the seams, especially if the seams are sewn together at a 45 degree angle. Take the strips to an upholster or someone who has a double piping foot. When you attach the new piping to the old, open up about an inch of the piping on one end, fold in a small amount of the end so you don't see the raw material and butt the double piping together. Re-attaching the double piping is probably easier that my explaination seems.