Classy fabric that is durable with kids

Old 02-11-05, 07:08 PM
chathamhouse
Visiting Guest
Classy fabric that is durable with kids

We recently bought a new house and need to buy alot of furniture. I'm looking for fabric that is smart looking but durable. We have a 10 month old and want it to be practical but pretty. Suggestions? What should I stay away from?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-05, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i'd recommend ultrasuede. it's soft, easy to clean, doesn't pull or fray, and looks very rich. go to their website for more info about the fabric (ultrasuede.com). then if you're sold on it, look for the brand name when you're shopping for furniture.

another good choice would be a chenille corduroy. it too is soft, resists pulls and would be easy to clean, but gives you more of a casual look and a nice small stripe that coordinates easily with other prints/patterns.

also good would be a tightly woven tapestry. either a plaid or pattern, it hides any dirt or stains really well and holds up well.

leather is a good choice also, if not for the sofa, maybe for a recliner or accent chair, or ottoman.

i would avoid cotton chintz, denim, really light colors, and loose weaves.

Old 09-03-06, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The most durable upholstery fabrics are commercial. This is because fibers are synthetic and tightly woven. A polyester chenille is a favorite. Commercial upholstery is treated to resist stains and water. You can get commercial upholstery through interior designers and decorators. These fabrics are expensive, but they are indestructible and you get great colors and softness.