bernauto
Visiting Guest
I am looking for some help on diy recainning of chairs thanks
thank you res

Old 02-14-05, 10:05 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I only did caning a few times, so I'm not an expert but it was easy. I didn't do rush, Instead purhcased sheets of pre-cain, depending on the chair it looks great and you don't have to weave a straw at a time. If you go the route I did, you will nee a large enough peace of predone cain
to do the seat, you also need, I don't know the name but it is a thich solit straw to go around the edge. A rush or caining company will know what that item is called. You also need water and elmers wood glue. First, soak the sheet in water for while, maybe a half hour, then push it in a criss cross manor into the grove in the chair. I had to make tools out of hard woodk like oak and cut the tools like a triangle so I had pointed ends. I used these tools to systematically push all ends into the groove (don't forget you are working with wet caining, when it dries it shrinks and gets very tight. Before I put the thick straw in the grove to keep the caining from coming out, first tuck in the cain then run a bead of glue in the grouve, then put the straw piece in to hold everything in place. Use your homemade tools, small hammers and screwdrivers to force the bead of straw in. When it's all dry, it will be strong, you will have to take a razor and trim excess.

Old 06-26-07, 06:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile mah1261

Originally Posted by ;55018
I am looking for some help on diy recainning of chairs thanks
Go to a good paint store which sells professional products
Tell them you want a de-natured alcohol dye stain, Use this very sparingly, test on scrap first but it works great and you can clear coat it with in an hour

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: