Cleaning a needlepoint

Old 02-23-08, 05:53 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning a needlepoint

Hi, I made a needlepoint about 25 years ago and it's been framed and mounted and hanging on various walls all these years. I want to take it apart and clean it and reassemble it. Does anyone think this is something to trust to a drycleaner? Working on and off it took me about a year to make and I don't want it ruined. I also have a old fabric 'scene' - looks like linen mounted and framed which I bought in an estate sale around the same time. Seeing "Eangle Linen papers" on the back, maybe it is from the 20's (?). It's old and dirty and I'd like to do the same thing. Any thoughts out there?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-08, 02:46 PM
T
The needlepoint may be washable if threads used were colorfast. You can moisten some dangling threads on the back to determine colorfastness. Which cleaning method to use for needlepoint depends on colorfastness, age, extent of soiling, etc. The best cleaning method tends to be debated. Many do not recommend dry cleaning because of the heat and chemicals used. If washing needlepoint, use cool water and pH neutral soap like Ivory liquid or flakes. If you have a needlepoint supply shop in your area, they may sell a pH neutral wash for needlepoint and quilts.

If you DIY, soak, rinse, and roll up in towel and gently press out moisture. Spread flat on a dry towel to dry.

The following links will be helpful:

http://www.needlepoint.org/FAQ/stitching.php#Q17

http://www.treasuredtapestries.com/cleaning.html

Linen papers are paper. Quality linen paper looks like closely woven fibers and have the appearance of linen. Linen paper can not be washed. There are conservationists that specialize in cleaning and restoring old documents. Perhaps you have one in your area. A local art gallery may be able to supply you with a recommendation.

Old 02-24-08, 06:47 PM
N
Great Advice!

Thanks for the great advice! The links you gave were terrific! I think that for my old estate sale linen item, I'll follow your advice and look for a professional evaluation.

Thanks again!